by Diggers Reporter on 15 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Zambeef employee gets 5 years for stealing K1mBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 May 2018
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a former Zambeef employee to five years simple imprisonment for stealing over one million kwacha from her employer between October 17 and November 1, 2017.
Carol Tembo, who was a cashier at Novatek; a subsidiary of Zambeef, was charged with six counts of theft by a servant.
Tembo had received and receipted the money on different dates in October 2016 but did not bank it by giving it to Ama Guard, which was tasked with the responsibility of taking the money to bank.
Magistrate Felix Kaoma said the prosecution had proved the case beyond reasonable doubt.
But in mitigation, Tembo through her lawyer asked the court for leniency saying she was a first offender and also a bread winner in the family.
She said she was currently pursuing studies and convicting her would be traumatizing.
“The accused person is a first offender and also the loss of her job has extremely devastating circumstances on both the accused and her family. We plead for maximum leniency seeing the accused is still very young and all her life is still in front of her. The accused’s parents are both aged and being the first born in this family made her a bread winner sustaining the aging parents. She is also currently engaged in studies which if sent to prison will loose both the money and the time to pursue the studies,” she said.
But when delivering judgment, magistrate Kaoma convicted her to five years simple imprisonment.
“In the first count I sentence you to 18 months, count two 36 months, count three 60 months, count four 60 months, count five 24 months, count six 18 months simple imprisonments. All sentences will be served concurrently,” said magistrate Kaoma.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them - 13 Sep 2019
- Judge Nkonde asks ConCourt to dismiss M’membe’s application for review of costs - 13 Sep 2019
- If Nevers is allowed to lead the party, there’ll be no MMD, witness tells court - 13 Sep 2019
- Man in court for defiling wife’s sisters, infecting them with HIV - 13 Sep 2019
- Man whose dogs killed boy committed to High Court for trial - 13 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it - Lungu (2,591 views)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (2,553 views)
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them (1,429 view)
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi (1,253 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,154 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend