- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Zambeef employee gets 5 years for stealing K1mBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 May 2018
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a former Zambeef employee to five years simple imprisonment for stealing over one million kwacha from her employer between October 17 and November 1, 2017.
Carol Tembo, who was a cashier at Novatek; a subsidiary of Zambeef, was charged with six counts of theft by a servant.
Tembo had received and receipted the money on different dates in October 2016 but did not bank it by giving it to Ama Guard, which was tasked with the responsibility of taking the money to bank.
Magistrate Felix Kaoma said the prosecution had proved the case beyond reasonable doubt.
But in mitigation, Tembo through her lawyer asked the court for leniency saying she was a first offender and also a bread winner in the family.
She said she was currently pursuing studies and convicting her would be traumatizing.
“The accused person is a first offender and also the loss of her job has extremely devastating circumstances on both the accused and her family. We plead for maximum leniency seeing the accused is still very young and all her life is still in front of her. The accused’s parents are both aged and being the first born in this family made her a bread winner sustaining the aging parents. She is also currently engaged in studies which if sent to prison will loose both the money and the time to pursue the studies,” she said.
But when delivering judgment, magistrate Kaoma convicted her to five years simple imprisonment.
“In the first count I sentence you to 18 months, count two 36 months, count three 60 months, count four 60 months, count five 24 months, count six 18 months simple imprisonments. All sentences will be served concurrently,” said magistrate Kaoma.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Ex court official gets 7 years for obtaining money by false pretences - 6 Apr 2020
- Topstar wants to help PF’s continued stay in power, insists Kalaba - 6 Apr 2020
- Mambwe’s idiots remarks were demeaning, UNZA tells court - 3 Apr 2020
- Businessman convicted for stealing 36,000 litres of TAZAMA diesel - 3 Apr 2020
- It’s pretty much premature to shut down Zambia – IRMZA - 3 Apr 2020
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND (3,229 views)
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects? (2,714 views)
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 (2,281 views)
- Kampyongo's mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable - NAC (2,149 views)
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya (1,669 view)
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects?
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu
- Introduce SI to stop landlords from collecting rentals, Changala urges govt
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown?
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- It’s illegal for police to whip citizens – Mweetwa
- UNZA owes ZRA, others K2.8bn, as audit reveals mismanagement of funds
- PF’s Nangula victory a 2021 sample – Mundubile
- Tutwa refutes UPND’s Bill 10 bribery claims
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya
- Govt, FRA’s deal with millers failed to cut mealie meal prices – IAPRI
- Habitat urges govt to improve living conditions in unplanned settlements
- SACCORD hails PF, UPND for peaceful Nangula poll
- ZRA’s tax audit on media houses within its mandate but wrongly timed – MISA
- Kamusoko, Mangani on path to recovery
- Govt must carry out robust awareness campaign against COVID-19 – CSPR
- Siwale welcomes FIFA’s intervention in FAZ wrangles
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
[search_popup]Send this to a friend