by Diggers Reporter on 17 Nov 2019by Diggers Reporter on 17 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 16 Nov 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 16 Nov 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Nov 2019by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 17 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
NIPA student gets 5 days for marijuana possessionBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2018
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a 24-year-old male student of the National Institute of Public Administration (NIPA) to five days imprisonment with hard labour for unlawful possession of psychotropic substances, namely 0.4 grammes of marijuana.
And Magistrate Judy Chiyaika has warned the convict, Chiza Chilanga, to change his ways, saying if found with drugs in future, he would be sent to the High Court where the offence carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.
Particulars of the offence in this matter were that Chiza Chilanga, on August 27, 2018, in Lusaka, did possess psychotropic substances namely 0.4 grammes of marijuana, a herbal product of cannabis sativa, without lawful authority.
Chilanga had last week admitted to the charge, saying the drugs were meant for smoking.
He had, however, admitted that he had no lawful authority to possess the said drugs.
When the matter came up for sentencing before Magistrate Chiyaika’s court, Wednesday, Chilanga said in mitigation, through his lawyer, that he had faced a lot of stigma and marginalisation, especially from his fellow students, which had been torturous.
He added that if given a chance, he would grow into a better citizen.
“He is in his early twenties; if given a chance he can be rehabilitated to grow into a youthful citizen. As a mark of his remorse, he pleaded guilty to the charge without wasting the court’s time. The 0.4 grammes found on the convict was meant for his use, though unlawful, and not meant to be trafficked to another person. He has faced a lot of stigma and marginalisation, especially from his fellow students. This has been torturous,” Chilanga, through his lawyer, said.
And passing judgement, Magistrate Chiyaika sentenced Chilanga to five days imprisonment with hard labour.
She warned him to change his ways, saying if found with drugs in future, he would be sent to the High Court where the offence carried a maximum sentence of 10 years.
“I have taken note of the guilty plea and you deserve leniency. However, the offence is on the increase, especially among students, and there is need to deter would-be offenders. I sentence you to five days imprisonment with hard labour with effect from today. This should be your turning point because in future if you are found with drugs you will be sent to the High Court where this offence carries a maximum of 10 years,” ruled Magistrate Chiyaika.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Siwale displayed my NRC, alleged it belonged to Lungu, ZAF Lieutenant tells court - 16 Nov 2019
- ConCourt grants M’membe withdrawal to review costs ordered on him over Post liquidation - 15 Nov 2019
- Lusaka man gets 60 years for aggravated robbery - 15 Nov 2019
- Govt didn’t obtain the people’s views on Bill 10, Mwitwa tells ConCourt - 15 Nov 2019
- Police slap Kabwe trucker with 12 charges of causing death by dangerous driving - 14 Nov 2019
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period (7,670 views)
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses (5,039 views)
- Sorry Amos, defending a President is a thankless job (4,423 views)
- Siwale displayed my NRC, alleged it belonged to Lungu, ZAF Lieutenant tells court (2,521 views)
- Cop threatens to shoot journalist during Kambwili interrogation (2,232 views)
- I don’t understand how we lost – Mwepu
- Lightning strike kills 4 Kawambwa family members
- Police nab HIV positive maid for breast feeding employer’s baby
- Chaos and Chaos:’ The Trouble with Climate Change and Environmental Protection in Zambia
- Cop threatens to shoot journalist during Kambwili interrogation
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period
- There’re 2 Lungus in State House, we met them both
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses
- Lungu will be easy to beat in 2021 - UPND
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend