by Mukosha Funga on 22 Jul 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Jul 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jul 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Jul 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Stuart Lisulo on 21 Jul 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Jul 2019by Natasha Sakala on 18 Jul 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 18 Jul 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 22 Jul 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 22 Jul 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Jul 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Editor on 23 Jul 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Jul 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Jul 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Jul 2019
by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 26 Jun 2019by Martha Mwanza and Felix Kashweka on 21 Jun 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Prof Muna Ndulo on 21 Jul 2019by Dr Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Jun 2019by Chewe Chishala on 22 Jun 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 11 Jun 2019
Kangombe asks ConCourt to dismiss PF’s Sesheke petitionBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Mar 2019[easy-social-share counters=0 counter_pos="hidden" total_counter_pos="right" template="20" style="icon" point_type="simple"]
Sesheke UPND member of parliament Romeo Kangombe has denied PF loosing candidate Dean Masule’s allegations that violence engulfed Sesheke district during the by-election, charging that PF officials themselves undertook acts of electoral malpractice to prevent electorates from voting for him.
Kangombe has therefore asked the Lusaka High Court to dismiss Masule’s petition in which he wants Court to declare Kangombe’s election null and void, with costs.
Last month, Sesheke PF loosing candidate Dean Masule petitioned the Lusaka High Court, seeking a declaration that the election of Kangombe as member of parliament for the constituency, was null and void.
Masule claimed that the campaigns in the said elections were characterized by undue influence that resulted from threats and violence to life and property, as well as, rampant physical attacks on PF members and the general public, resulting in severe injuries.
He further claimed that the said acts of violence were widespread and affected the majority voters of the nine wards that constituted Sesheke Parliamentary Constituency.
But in an affidavit in support of respondent’s answer filed in the Lusaka High Court on Thursday, Kangombe denied all the allegations contained in the petition.
He stated that Masule’s allegations that violence engulfed the whole district, were speculative, adding that if at all that occurred, which he denied, were isolated incidences.
Kangombe claimed that it was common knowledge that any incidences of violence that were recorded in the constituency were a consequence of PF activities.
“I categorically deny that violence engulfed the whole district or constituency as alleged by the petitioner. And I state that it is common knowledge that any incidences of violence that were recorded were a consequence of PF activities within the constituency which prompted a forceful reaction towards PF from the Zambia police,” read the affidavit.
“It is evident that the petitioner’s allegations are speculative; that they do not relate to me or my electoral or polling agents. And that the alleged incidences, if at all they occurred, which I denied, were isolated incidences and were, according to the petitioner, concentrated in mainly one ward, Mulimabango ward which hosts Sesheke’s Central Business District.”
Kangombe further denied that the by-election was characterized by undue influence, charging that PF officials themselves undertook acts of electoral malpractice to prevent voters from voting for him.
He claimed that the PF undertook in vote buying, use of government personnel and government resources in campaigns and use of violence against the members of the public perceived to be UPND.
“PF officials undertook the following acts of electoral malpractice in their attempt to unduly influence the electorate, which acts were in contravention of the Act and the Code of Conduct; vote buying, use of government personnel for purposes of campaigns, use of government resources for purposes of campaigns and use of violence against the members of the public perceived to be UPND members,” read the affidavit.
“That however, notwithstanding all these acts of electoral malpractice undertaken by the PF, the electorate of Sesheke remained steadfast and were not unduly influenced and that as a result the majority of them still elected me as their preferred candidate.”
Kangombe further denied that any UPND cadre assaulted any PF member of the general public as alleged by Masule.
He denied the allegations in the petition in their entirety and asked the Court to dismiss the petition with costs
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians. She draws inspiration from journalists who stand for what is right and are not afraid to tell and show the truth to the people.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- S/Africa Court orders ZCCM-IH to withdraw KCM liquidation case - 23 Jul 2019
- CK applies to remove ECZ from his petition against Matibini’s decision to declare Roan seat vacant - 22 Jul 2019
- Mukata seeks to challenge death sentence in Supreme Court - 22 Jul 2019
- High Court throws out Musenge’s application to nullify CK’s NDC presidency - 19 Jul 2019
- Registrar explains how Lungu applied to add the name “Chagwa” on NRC - 18 Jul 2019
- S/Africa Court orders ZCCM-IH to withdraw KCM liquidation case
- Lungu’s heart willing to fight corruption, but his body is failing
- HH richer than me, but can’t build you a toilet, Lungu tells Katuba
- Court’s decision not to oust Kambwili leaves NDC in awkward position – Musenge
- Ng’andu up against PF’s self-preservation – Sacika
Subscribe for email alerts