- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
5 deny assaulting LubindaBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Jul 2019
Four businessmen and a driver have appeared in the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court for allegedly assaulting and proposing violence against Minister of Justice Given Lubinda on Friday.
The five appeared before Chief Resident Magistrate Lameck Mwale and denied the charges.
Meanwhile, magistrate Mwale has granted the accused persons cash bail of K5,000 each, with two working sureties bound in a sum of K10,000.
In this matter Martin Mambwe, a 38-year-old driver of Kalingalinga is charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, whereas Patrick Mubanga, 40, of Zambia Railways area behind Intercity Bus Terminus, Major Chansa, 35, of Misisi, Moses Mulenga, 35, and Goodson Mwange, 45, of John Laing, all businessmen, as well as Mambwe, are charged with proposing violence or breaches of the law to assemblies.
In count one, it is alleged that Mambwe on July 12, this year, assulted Given Lubinda, thereby occasioning him actual bodily harm.
And in count two, it is alleged that on the same date, Mambwe, Mwange, Mubanga, Mulenga and Chansa whilst acting together, proposed violence to Given Lubinda by saying “we will beat you next time you step your foot in Kabwata Market”.
When the matter came up before magistrate Mwale for plea, Wednesday, the accused persons denied the charges.
After taking plea, their lawyer Aggrippa Malando applied for bail pending trial, saying his clients should be deemed innocent until the court proved them otherwise.
He said if the court granted them bail, the accused persons would abide by the conditions which would be prescribed to them.
Magistrate Mwale then granted each of the accused persons cash bail of K5,000 each with two working sureties bound in a sum of K10,000.
He added that the accused persons would remain in custody until they met the bail conditions.
The matter comes up on July 31 for trial.
And after the accused persons were taken to the holding cell within the court premises, they became unruly prompting some police officers to fire teargas in the holding cell.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt - 25 Aug 2019
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,927 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,334 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,024 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (939 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (804 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend