by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Nov 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga and Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019by Mazuba Muleya on 7 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Nevers Mumba wins MMD presidency, as Mutati brags of larger followingBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 5 Nov 2019
The Lusaka High Court has settled a three-year-long MMD leadership battle after declaring a convention held in 2016 which elected Felix Mutati and others as office bearers, null and void.
Lusaka High Court judge Sharon Newa has ordered the Registrar of Societies to immediately correct the register of office holders of MMD to those before the 2016 convention was held, in this case Nevers Mumba and his group.
And Mumba has attributed the victory to God saying, he knew all along that justice would be served no matter how long it t.
But Mutati and Raphael Nakacinda have said a party is made up of people, adding that it has been proved that Mutati has the biggest following.
In this matter, Winnie Zaloumis (plaintiff) in her capacity as MMD acting National Secretary for the Mumba led-MMD had sued Mutati, Mwansa Mbulakulima, Raphael Nakacinda and George Kangwa in the Lusaka High Court, challenging the legality of the convention that was held in Kabwe that elected Mutati and others into office.
During trial, the plaintiff had called eight witnesses to aid their case, whereas the defendants had called 24.
Delivering a five hour judgement, justice Newa ruled that the defendants, Mutati, Nakachinda, Mbulakulima and Kangwa had no power to call, convene and attend any meeting or convention of the party, as they purported to do on May 20 to 22, 2016.
She added that the deliberations, resolutions, elections and pronouncements made at the said convention are null and void and of no legal effect.
“I accordingly order that the Registrar of Societies shall rectify the register of office holders of the MMD forthwith to those before the convention was held. The plaintiff having succeeded on the claims, I award her costs of the action to be taxed in default of agreement,” justice Newa ruled.
Justice Newa said the notice for the convention was issued by the second defendant in contravention of the party constitution, and it was therefore not valid.
Justice Newa further ruled that Mutati having been expelled from the party, although irregularly, but as he had not challenged that expulsion, was not eligible to stand as president of the party in line with Article 39(1) of the party constitution, which provides that a person who is not a member of the party shall not be elected as president of the party.
She further ruled that the second and third defendants being persons who had been suspended had no right to convene, attend or participate in the convention as their rights as members of the MMD were on hold.
She granted leave to appeal.
After the judgment, Mutati’s and Mumba’s supporters who waited outside the court complex expressed mixed feelings.
Reacting to the judgement, Mumba said: “A three year battle has come to an end. This is something the members of our party have been looking forward to. We knew all along that justice is going to be served no matter how long it takes. Meaning that there is only one leadership for MMD, led by myself and the National Executive Committee. We just want to give God the praise,” said Mumba.
But Mutati and Nakacinda said a party is made up of people.
“Umo nasenda ichipepa mulya but ichipani bantu. Nachi ilanga ichine cheka ati ukwete abantu ni Mutati. (Someone has won the ruling, but a party is made up of people. It has been proved that Mutati has the biggest following,” Nakachinda said as Mutati’s crowd jubilated.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- ConCourt grants M’membe withdrawal to review costs ordered on him over Post liquidation - 15 Nov 2019
- Lusaka man gets 60 years for aggravated robbery - 15 Nov 2019
- Govt didn’t obtain the people’s views on Bill 10, Mwitwa tells ConCourt - 15 Nov 2019
- Police slap Kabwe trucker with 12 charges of causing death by dangerous driving - 14 Nov 2019
- CK gets another defamation of the president charge - 14 Nov 2019
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses (8,356 views)
- DEC arrests Amos for corrupt practices (1,799 view)
- I am ready to face DEC, says Amos (1,613 view)
- Court awards K3.3m damages to family of ZAF officer who died in police custody (1,143 view)
- KCM workers, exam pupils hospitalised in Chingola after inhaling toxic gas from Nchanga Mine (1,067 view)
- Chief Mukuni urged people to vote UPND in 2016, reveals Commission of Inquiry
- Enemies want to divide us as we get to 2021 – Lungu
- PF rule has no respect for human life – ZCCB
- Load shedding, kwacha depreciation slashing business performance – BCI
- Govt will get $2.03bn loan from China for Chipata-Serenje Railway project, reveals Minister
- There’re 2 Lungus in State House, we met them both
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu
- HH among directors of company seeking to mine in Lower Zambezi - Musukwa tells parley
- Yes, Zambia’s debt is criminal!
- Govt cancelled presidential jet purchase due to austerity measures – Wina
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend