- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018
- Goal Diggers
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Jan 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Jan 2018
- by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 18 Jan 2018
- Editor's Choice
- by Felix Kashweka on 13 Jan 2018by Diggers Admin on 11 Jan 2018by Tenson Mkhala on 6 Jan 2018by Felix Kashweka on 31 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 22 Jan 2018by Dr Charles Sinkala on 22 Jan 2018by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Jan 2018by Nachilala Nkombo on 20 Jan 2018
Lungu must apologise to HH – MaimaneBy Mukosha Funga on 12 Oct 2017
South Africa’s Democratic Alliance leader Mmusi Maimane says President Edgar Lungu must publicly apologoise to UPND leader Hakinde Hichilema for locking him up on trumped up treason charges only for them to be dropped four months later.
In a statement sent to News Diggers! today, Maimane stated that Zambia still remained politically unstable and volatile under President Lungu.
“Furthermore, a public apology must be made to Mr Hakainde Hichilema, the Leader of the Opposition, who was arrested on trumped-up treason charges, detained for almost four months in the most inhumane conditions – only for the charges to be dropped as baseless. There is still much more to be done to restore true democracy to Zambia. Under President Lungu’s presidency, the country remains politically unstable and volatile,” Maimane stated.
He stated that part of his work as leader of the DA and Chairperson of Chairperson of the Southern African Platform for Democratic Change (SAPDC) was to work constructively with leaders from both governing and opposition parties of democratic states in the SADC region.
“This includes ensuring that democratic practices such as human rights, constitutionalism, and the rule of law are promoted across the continent. We will continue to work with the United Party for National Development (UPND), and its Leader, Mr Haikande Hichilema, in fighting for a stable and functional democracy in Zambia,” Maimane stated.
He stated that the DA welcomed government’s decision not to renew the Threatened State of Emergency.
“The Democratic Alliance (DA) welcomes the decision by the Zambian government to not renew the emergency measures that have been enforced across the country over the past 90 days. This is the first step in the right direction, however, it must be followed by a clear and concrete plan of action that aims to restore democracy in Zambia. President Edgar Lungu should at once commit publically to a programme of action that works to restore Zambia’s democracy. This includes restoring the independence of the justice system; ensuring the media is free from suppression and intimidation; and ending the oppressive treatment of the opposition in Zambia,” stated Maimane.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha Funga is a Zambian journalist interested in good governance and anti corruption reporting.
- Govt threatens to cancel CBU unions’ licenses for locking up VC - 23 Jan 2018
- Amnesty International seeks protection for Pilato - 23 Jan 2018
- PF cadres attack Kambwili’s supporters at Central Police - 23 Jan 2018
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges - 23 Jan 2018
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves - 22 Jan 2018
- Lungu's theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer - HH
- PF cadres attack Kambwili's supporters at Central Police
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves
- Antonio too young for politics of the belly
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «January 2018»
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend