- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 12 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Magistrate adjourns HH’s treason case to May 4By Mukosha Funga on 27 Apr 2017
Lusaka magistrate David Simusamba has allowed an inquiry into whether the treason charge which UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema is facing can hold in court.
And Magistrate Simusamba adjourned the treason case involving UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema to May 4, 2017 after the State and HH’s defence team agreed to the preliminary inquiry.
The treason case was called this morning around 09:50 before magistrate David Simusamba where the state responded to the preliminary issues raised by the defence.
HH’s lawyers yesterday submitted that Magistrate Simusamba had the power to make an order for the holding of a preliminary inquiry where the accused persons were appearing before it for offenses triable by the High Court.
Responding to the application, state prosecutor MP Lungu said: “We wish to state that we are not opposed to the said application. However your honour if it is pleasing to this honorable court, we have agreed with the defense team that the matter be adjourned…”
Before she could finish with her submission, HH’s sympathisers booed and murmured in disagreement, forcing magistrate Simusamba to order the court attendees who were standing to leave.
After a five minutes break, magistrate Simusamba warned HH’s sympathisers, saying his court would not tolerate disruptions.
“That should serve as a warning. I appreciate the fact that one of the accused is a politician but my court will not tolerate disruptions. In future I will order the court cleared,” magistrate Simusamba warned.
Lungu then completed her submission, saying the state had agreed to adjourn the matter to May 4 for a preliminary inquiry.
Magistrate Simusamba adjourned the matter to May 4, 2017 for a preliminary inquiry.
Meanwhile, HH’s wife Mutinta told journalists after seeing off her visibly downcast husband that the state just wanted to keep him in detention for nothing.
“They want to detain my husband for nothing because there is no charge here. They have started buying people so that they kill the party and they also want to kill my husband,” said Mutinta.
Yesterday magistrate Greenwell Malumani granted HH and his co-accused K10,000 bail in their own recognizance with two working sureties each but because of the treason charge, which is non bailable, they remain remanded in custody.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Court throws out K5bn suit against Mutinta Hichilema - 16 Dec 2017
- NDC attackers are PF sympathisers, but not our members – Kamba - 16 Dec 2017
- Miles rejoins PF, endorses Lungu for 2021 - 14 Dec 2017
- Solicitor General challenges subpoena against Silungwe - 13 Dec 2017
- Let ZAWA complain about my rat song, not PF – Pilato - 13 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend