- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 22 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 22 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Lusaka man denies defaming Mumbi Phiri in a WhatsApp groupBy Mukosha Funga on 30 Jun 2017
A 45-year-old Lusaka man has denied defaming PF deputy secretary general Mumbi Phiri by insinuating that she sacrificed her son to become a big political figure.
In this matter, Asher Hakantu is accused of posting defamatory words against Mumbi in a WhatsApp group called “We need a better Zambia” on unknown dates but between May 6, 2017 and May 8, 2017 in Lusaka.
“With intent to defame Mumbi Phiri, unlawfully did publish a defamatory matter concerning the said person on a WhatsApp bloc namely ‘We need a better Zambia’, to which you wrote, ‘Are you sure she didn’t sacrifice the innocent boy for her to come into a political limelight, who knew this finished scrap cargo before she lost her son in Kawambwa School accident. Apusa maningi Mumbi Phiri’,” read the indictment.
When the matter came up before magistrate Nchimunya Simaubi yesterday, he warned against excitement in his court by the police over the political case.
He observed that there were a lot of political cases going on and he expected everyone to act with decorum.
His remarks come in the wake of unprecedented security at the Magistrates’ Court whenever UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema is appearing.
After Hakantu denied the charge, his lawyers Christopher Mundia and Robin Musoni applied for bail.
Mundia complained about police conduct saying it was unacceptable that they refused to grant the accused bond despite the offense being a misdemeanor.
He said it was also difficult to have access to his client who had been in custody since June 20 as police imposed various conditions and unreasonable time frame in which to meet his client.
In response, Magistrate Simaubi said if the complaint was true then the police acted unreasonably as it was a violation of the rights of the suspect.
He said the Constitution was clear as to how a suspect should be treated.
Magistrate Simaubi then granted Hakantu K3,000 bail in his own recognizance with two working sureties bound at K3,000 in their own recognizance.
The matter comes up on July 13 for mention.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- DCs must stay within their districts – Mwila - 22 Oct 2017
- UPND moves rally to Munali next Sunday - 22 Oct 2017
- Until Jesus comes, UPND will never produce a President – Mwila - 21 Oct 2017
- Come in numbers, Kanyama rally is on – GBM - 21 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition – JCC - 20 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- MP pins Mabumba on low fuel prices during elections
- Come in numbers, Kanyama rally is on - GBM
- Until Jesus comes, UPND will never produce a President - Mwila
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend