- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
UPND MPs lose petition against SpeakerBy Mukosha Funga on 6 Jul 2017
The Lusaka High Court has thrown out a petition by 46 UPND members of parliament who were seeking leave for judicial review to challenge Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini’s decision to suspend them.
The MPs were suspended for boycotting President Edgar Lungu’s State of the Nation address for a second time in March.
When the matter came up for ruling today, Judge Petronella Ngulube threw out their application for judicial review saying there was no arguable case fit for further investigation at a full interpartes hearing.
Judge Ngulube said she was not persuaded to exercise her discretion to grant judicial review and granted costs to the respondent.
She said on procedural impropriety, there was again no issue worthy of a substantive hearing as the lawmakers were given an opportunity to be heard by the Committee on Privileges on the charge of absenteeism from the National Assembly on March 17, 2017 and responded through their advocates.
Nalikwanda member of Parliament Geoffrey Lungwangwa and others sought leave to apply for judicial review on grounds that the Speaker’s decision was illegal because they were just exercising their freedom of expression as guaranteed in the Constitution by boycotting President Lungu’s address.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Court throws out K5bn suit against Mutinta Hichilema - 16 Dec 2017
- NDC attackers are PF sympathisers, but not our members – Kamba - 16 Dec 2017
- Miles rejoins PF, endorses Lungu for 2021 - 14 Dec 2017
- Solicitor General challenges subpoena against Silungwe - 13 Dec 2017
- Let ZAWA complain about my rat song, not PF – Pilato - 13 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend