- by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 19 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Activist sues LAZ for failing to discipline its memberBy Mukosha Funga on 19 Jul 2017
A human rights activist has sued the Law Association of Zambia for breach of statutory provisions.
According to a statement of claim filed in the Lusaka High Court, Human Rights and Amnesty Executive Director Fredrick Chinsala said LAZ breached its statutory obligation by dismissing his complaint against their member.
Chinsala on July 1, 2008 filed a complaint against lawyer Michael Banda of Nanzila advocates.
He says LAZ dismissed the complaint on grounds that there was no solicitor- client relationship between the parties and an appeal to the Honorary Secretary to review its ruling failed as LAZ stated that there was no new evidence to be determined.
Chinsala stated that after appealing against the ruling of LAZ to the Ministry of Justice, the acting principal parliamentary counsel and permanent secretary legal informed him that his matter was receiving attention.
He said the ministry’s response which overruled the associations response meant that LAZ breached the statutory provisions.
Chinsala submitted that the LAZ committee ruling was set aside because the matter was heard de novo (new trial) from 27 July 2012 until it was closed on May 31, 2013.
He further stated that after writing to the Attorney General to speed up the process of hearing his matter, no response has come forward.
Chinsala now wants the court to intervene as LAZ breached the legal practitioners act by dismissing the complaint in full view of evidence.
He said LAZ had failed to impose sanctions against its erring member to improve and raise the bar of the profession.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Court acquits man accused of defaming Mumbi Phiri on WhatsApp - 19 Oct 2017
- Forgive me, I didn’t know what I was doing when i declared October 18 a day of prayer – Lungu - 18 Oct 2017
- DPP abusing nolles – HH - 17 Oct 2017
- UNZA gives “Ruins” to female students in a bid to stop riots - 16 Oct 2017
- IMF presses Zambia redefine its borrowing plans - 16 Oct 2017
- Forgive me, I didn't know what I was doing when i declared October 18 a day of prayer - Lungu
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Kambwili tones down: "I'm off politicking for now"
- Stop using criminal justice system to target critics, Amnesty International tells Lungu
- National Day of Prayer has divided the nation – Kabimba
- Court acquits man accused of defaming Mumbi Phiri on WhatsApp
- ZICTA confiscates transmitter for a Choma community radio station
- UPND should stop deceiving people that they are the ones delivering development in their strongholds – Mwila
- Meditating or snoring? Musenge’s prayer position sparks debate
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi’s jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend