by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
Lusaka man in court for impersonating a medical doctorBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 8 Feb 2019
A 27 year-old man of Lusaka’s Zani Muone Compound has been dragged to court for pretending to be a medical doctor at Lusaka’s Chipata Level one Hospital.
And a medical doctor at the said hospital has told the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that the accused person was actually charging and collecting medical fees from patients.
This is the matter in which Collins Mavunga, an unemployed resident, is charged with one count impersonating a public officer contrary to section 102 of the penalty code chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
It is alleged that on March 14, 2018 in Lusaka, Mavunga falsely represented himself at Chipata Level one Hospital as a person employed by the government of Zambia namely a doctor, when in fact not.
He had pleaded not guilty before magistrate Beauty Malupenga and was granted bail of K15,000 in his own recognisance, with two working sureties bound in the like sum.
And when the matter came up for trial, Thursday, Dr Elizabeth Mwape, 45, told the court that on the material day, she saw Mavunga getting a medical report to be issued to a patient.
She said Mavunga went on to charge patients medical fees and collected money.
She said she asked a fellow doctor on Mavungo’s status at the hospital and if anyone knew him, but was told that no one knew him.
“By that time there were rumours that a person at the Chipata hospital was impersonating as a doctor from Levy Mwanawasa Hospital,” Dr Mwape narrated.
She narrated that she later asked Mavunga who he was and he told her that he was a medical student at Ridgeway campus studying surgery, in his 7th year.
Dr Mwape said when she made an inquiry from the school to find out if there was a medical student attached to the hospital by the names of Collins Mavunga, she was told that there was no student with such names.
She then asked security personnels to arrest him.
Meanwhile, Brenda Ngoma, 42, a security guard at Chipata Level One Hospital told the court that on the material day she saw Mavunga getting a stethoscope and put it around his neck.
Ngoma said Mavunga then went to the cashier desk at the hospital where he introduced himself as a student doctor in his fourth year from Levy Mwanawasa General Hospital.
The matter has been adjourned to February 22, 2019 for continued trial.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- 7 Lumwana expatriates were lawfully fired, company tells court - 20 Sep 2019
- LAZ asks ConCourt to throw out Musoma’s suit over Bill 10 - 20 Sep 2019
- Tutwa reports Sangwa to LAZ for “professional misconduct” - 19 Sep 2019
- ConCourt sets Sept 27 for ruling on preliminary issues in LAZ Bill 10 case - 19 Sep 2019
- 120 people sue UPPZ leader for fraud over land - 18 Sep 2019
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (3,413 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (1,399 view)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (974 views)
- Lungu’s continued association with Findlay damaging the Presidency - KBF (943 views)
- It’s against separation of powers for Parley to supervise executive - PF (890 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend