by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 8 Dec 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 6 Dec 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 6 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 6 Dec 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 5 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 4 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 28 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 27 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 7 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 6 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 3 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 1 Dec 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Julius Kapembwa (PhD) on 5 Dec 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 4 Dec 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Nov 2019by Dr Chishimba Mubanga, MSc on 22 Nov 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Sampa Kabwela on 23 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019
Lusaka man in court for impersonating a medical doctorBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 8 Feb 2019
A 27 year-old man of Lusaka’s Zani Muone Compound has been dragged to court for pretending to be a medical doctor at Lusaka’s Chipata Level one Hospital.
And a medical doctor at the said hospital has told the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that the accused person was actually charging and collecting medical fees from patients.
This is the matter in which Collins Mavunga, an unemployed resident, is charged with one count impersonating a public officer contrary to section 102 of the penalty code chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
It is alleged that on March 14, 2018 in Lusaka, Mavunga falsely represented himself at Chipata Level one Hospital as a person employed by the government of Zambia namely a doctor, when in fact not.
He had pleaded not guilty before magistrate Beauty Malupenga and was granted bail of K15,000 in his own recognisance, with two working sureties bound in the like sum.
And when the matter came up for trial, Thursday, Dr Elizabeth Mwape, 45, told the court that on the material day, she saw Mavunga getting a medical report to be issued to a patient.
She said Mavunga went on to charge patients medical fees and collected money.
She said she asked a fellow doctor on Mavungo’s status at the hospital and if anyone knew him, but was told that no one knew him.
“By that time there were rumours that a person at the Chipata hospital was impersonating as a doctor from Levy Mwanawasa Hospital,” Dr Mwape narrated.
She narrated that she later asked Mavunga who he was and he told her that he was a medical student at Ridgeway campus studying surgery, in his 7th year.
Dr Mwape said when she made an inquiry from the school to find out if there was a medical student attached to the hospital by the names of Collins Mavunga, she was told that there was no student with such names.
She then asked security personnels to arrest him.
Meanwhile, Brenda Ngoma, 42, a security guard at Chipata Level One Hospital told the court that on the material day she saw Mavunga getting a stethoscope and put it around his neck.
Ngoma said Mavunga then went to the cashier desk at the hospital where he introduced himself as a student doctor in his fourth year from Levy Mwanawasa General Hospital.
The matter has been adjourned to February 22, 2019 for continued trial.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court orders Tutwa to pay Mwitwa damages for libel - 7 Dec 2019
- Trial continues in ritual killings case involving soldier, traditional healer - 6 Dec 2019
- Prime TV sues former employee for defamation - 6 Dec 2019
- Judge Nkonde narrates how security guard stole money from his house - 6 Dec 2019
- Girl narrates how biological father impregnated her - 6 Dec 2019
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel (2,692 views)
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation (2,497 views)
- Govt's attacks against Foote diplomatic gobbledegook - Mpombo (1,983 view)
- Trial continues in ritual killings case involving soldier, traditional healer (1,806 view)
- C5 police arrest 4 robbers who trailed Lusaka woman (1,743 view)
- Wina describes UPND’s Lupososhi ward election victory as ‘small fish’
- High Court orders Tutwa to pay Mwitwa damages for libel
- Govt’s attacks against Foote diplomatic gobbledegook – Mpombo
- When the ruling party owns the Constitution making process, citizens lose it – Mwenye
- There’s need to change use of encroached game parks to allow human development – Chitotela
- A bitter sweet message from the U.S Ambassador on gay crimes, hypocrisy
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel
- I'll retain power in 2021 because I'm humble - Lungu
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation
- Stop dividing us, stay out of politics, Lungu tells clergy
Subscribe For News In Email
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend