by Mirriam Chabala on 10 Dec 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 9 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 9 Dec 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 9 Dec 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 9 Dec 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 5 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 4 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 28 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 7 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 9 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 6 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019
by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Dec 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Julius Kapembwa (PhD) on 5 Dec 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 4 Dec 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Nov 2019by Dr Chishimba Mubanga, MSc on 22 Nov 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 9 Dec 2019by Sampa Kabwela on 23 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019
ConCourt grants losing Sesheke PF candidate extension to file record of appealBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 9 Aug 2019
The Constitutional Court has granted Sesheke PF losing candidate Dean Masule an extension of time to file the record of appeal and heads of arguments in the matter where he is challenging Romeo Kangombe’s election as member of parliament.
ConCourt Judge Martin Musaluke says Masule should file the record of appeal on or before today, Friday.
In May this year, High Court Judge Gertrude Chawatama declared UPND’s Kang’ombe as duly-elected Sesheke member of parliament, saying the will of the people prevailed.
But Masule, being dissatisfied with the judgement, filed a notice and memorandum of appeal in the ConCourt against the High Court’s decision.
In his memorandum of appeal, Masule filed two grounds, arguing that High Court Judge erred in law when she held that the provisions of section 97 (2) (b) of the Electoral Process Act number 35 of 2016 exclusively governed the activities of the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ).
He further stated that Justice Chawatama erred in law when she held that the case of Josephat Mlewa verses Eric Wightman (1995-1997) ZR171 has restrictive application in the current electoral law.
Masule through his lawyer Eric Silwamba had, however, applied for extension of time to file record of appeal and heads of arguments in the matter.
Silwamba stated in an affidavit in support of summons for extension of time to file record of appeal and heads of arguments, that the application for extension of time would not prejudice Kang’ombe.
He explained that after Masule lodged a notice and memorandum of appeal on June 27, 2019, he immediately engaged Bantum Limited, a printing company, to photocopy and bind 23 copies of the record of appeal for filing before court.
“The record of appeal is voluminous as it consists of eight (8) volumes with the documents exceeding two thousand (2,000) pages. Bantum Limited have had difficulties with their machinery and this caused a delay in the preparation of the record of appeal as the record had to be returned twice to correct anomalies that had plunged the record of appeal which included, inter alia, missing pages,” Silwamba stated.
He had stated that his client had been assured by Bantum Limited that the record of appeal would be ready for collection before the end of the week, and that Masule shall proceed to file the record of appeal together with the requisite heads of arguments.
And in his ruling, ConCourt Judge Martin Musaluke granted Masule an extension of time to file the record of appeal and heads of arguments and also ordered him to file the record of appeal on or before August 9.
“Having read the appellants application, supported by the affidavit and skeleton arguments, and there being no objection by the respondent to the application for extension of time in which to file the record of appeal, leave is hereby granted in which to file record of appeal. The record of appeal should be filed on or before August 9, 2019. Costs are in the cause,” ruled Justice Musaluke.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court orders Tutwa to pay Mwitwa damages for libel - 7 Dec 2019
- Trial continues in ritual killings case involving soldier, traditional healer - 6 Dec 2019
- Prime TV sues former employee for defamation - 6 Dec 2019
- Judge Nkonde narrates how security guard stole money from his house - 6 Dec 2019
- Girl narrates how biological father impregnated her - 6 Dec 2019
- One bullet can kill me, you don't need to send cadres, Nkomeshya tells govt (3,536 views)
- Sorry PF, not enough pee to put out Bill 10 (1,942 view)
- I've no time to discuss Lungwangwa, Kasonso - HH (1,817 view)
- Homosexuality exists in Zambia, no one chooses to be born gay - Sacika (1,008 view)
- PF syphoning money from KCM to fund party activities - Kambwili (985 views)
- PRESIDENTIAL HUMILITY: A HUMBLE RESPONSE TO SOME NASTY PREJUDICE
- Ba Davies Mwila boss, nga imwe? How did you lose Chipili seat?
- PF hasn’t told me about any ultimatum – Chungu
- Homosexuality exists in Zambia, no one chooses to be born gay – Sacika
- Heightened corruption perception influencing drop in FDI – Saasa
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel
- I'll retain power in 2021 because I'm humble - Lungu
- A bitter sweet message from the U.S Ambassador on gay crimes, hypocrisy
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation
- Stop dividing us, stay out of politics, Lungu tells clergy
Subscribe For News In Email
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend