- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Zambia draws Bissau, Namibia in 2019 AFCON qualifiersBy Nelson Kazeze on 13 Jan 2017
ZAMBIA has been placed in Group K of the 2019 AFCON tournament along with Guinea Bissau, Mozambique and Namibia. This follows a draw conducted on Thursday night, January 12, 2017, by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Libreville, Gabon.
And National team coach Wedson ‘Wada Wada’ Nyirenda said Zambia had been handed a favorable draw but emphasized that there were no week teams in football anymore.
“It’s a favorable draw bit there are no small teams in football anymore. Our challenge is now how we are going to prepare the senior national team considering that we also have commitments with the U-20 national team. We will find a way to assemble locally based player as early as possible, “said Nyirenda who is also attached to the U-20- ahead of the Africa U-20 cup of nations that Zambia hosts next month.
The 2012 AFCON champions were seeded in pot 1 along with other African power houses despite missing out on the 2017 Edition that kicks off tomorrow January 14, 2017 in Gabon.
Chipolopolo will be seeking revenge against Guinea Bissau who are largely responsible for Zambia’s absence at the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
The Chipolopolo lost a crucial away match to Guinea Bissau in the 2017 qualifier to miss out on the continents biggest soccer show piece.
The Chipolopolo are currently ranked 88 on the FIFA rankings and are sitting on position 21 on the CAF rankings. Guinea Bissau who were in pot 3 are the highest ranked team in the group sitting on number 68 and 15 on the FIFA and CAF rankings respectively.
Meanwhile, Mozambique, who are ranked 102 and 32 on the FIFA and CAF rankings respectively, were drawn from pot 2 while Namibia were in pot 4 and are ranked 100 and 27 on the FIFA and CAF rakings respectively.
The qualifiers are set to begin in June.
About Nelson Kazeze
Nelson Kazeze is a Zambian multi-skilled journalist with an emphasis on sports news.
Email: nelson [at] diggers [dot] news
- New Twist: Mayuka stays at Zamalek - 31 Jan 2017
- Zambia U-20 to face Amajita in international friendly - 31 Jan 2017
- Zesco United players pledge to fulfill target - 30 Jan 2017
- Napsa Stars sign Bageya, four others - 30 Jan 2017
- Zamalek wants Mayuka out - 28 Jan 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend