ZANACO FC chairman Edward Mutale says the club is not in a crisis and is ready to represent Zambia in the CAF champions league.
In an interview, today January 17, 2017, Mutale denied assertions that the club was in crisis following the departure of five players that helped it win the 2016 MTN/FAZ Super Division.
“We are ready for next season and have done a few recruitments although some are still in the pipeline. The issue of players leaving, we must be mindful that not all players that have left the club are key players” Mutale said.
He claimed some of the players had been offloaded and left the club on mutual terms. Mutale said the club had a policy on player retention and management.
“As per policy we don’t withhold players if they feel they want to leave the club. Our policy is to ensure a player develops professionally and at the most be a national team player. We are representing Zambia in the CAF champions league this year which even provides a better platform for players to market themselves,” said Mutale.
Mutale admitted that the club had tried to keep the key players but they could not surpass the finances which were being offered by other clubs.
Zanaco unveiled their CAF Champions League squad yesterday and have included Aubrey Funga, who was spotted attending trials in South Africa and Zesco United bound Fackson Kapumbu.
The champions have been hit by an exodus of players which has seen former Zambian international Isaac Chansa, Midfielder Rodrick Kabwe and Salulani Phiri among the list that left the club. The 7 times Zambian Champions will face Rwandese side APR in the preliminary round of the Champions League next month.
The Numba Mumamba tutored side are currently in Chipata for pre- season.