- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
African countries need co-operation to develop – LunguBy Mukosha Funga on 8 Jun 2017
President Edgar Lungu says African countries have remained poor despite being endowed with natural resources because of lack of cooperation and trade amongst themselves.
And President Lungu says Zambia wants to see countries in the region remain peaceful.
President Lungu was speaking when he met his Malagasy counterpart Hery Rajaonarimampianina at State House in Lusaka yesterday when the two leaders discussed matters of peace and security and the welfare of their people.
President Rajaonarimampianina is visiting Zambia for the first time as Head of State and Chairperson of COMESA, a role he assured last year during the COMESA summit held in his country.
President Lungu noted during the meeting that African countries have remained poor despite being endowed with natural resources because of lack of cooperation and trade amongst themselves.
He said it was important for countries on the continent to share best practices in various sectors and work together for the good of their people.
“African countries need to cooperate in the development and implementation of their respective National Development Plans as they face similar problems that requires similar solution,” President Lungu said.
He emphasized on the need to encourage trade within member states of the COMESA region so that more jobs and wealth can be created for the people instead of creating jobs for people outside the region.
And President Lungu said as a member of the African Union Security Council, Zambia was engaged in ensuring peace and security in the region and commended Madagascar for embarking on the national reconciliation within their country.
He said Zambia wanted to see countries in the region such as the Democratic Republic of Congo and Lesotho to remain peaceful and encouraged Madagascar to continue upholding peace their country and the region.
“Zambia will support Madagascar in fostering peace and security and also urged Madagascar not to pull out of the Paris agreement on climate change,” said President Lungu.
Meanwhile, President Lungu directed Minister of Foreign Affairs Harry Kalaba to dialogue with his counterpart from Madagascar to ensure that the general framework on the Joint Permanent Commission that will allow cooperation between the two countries is signed.
And President Rajaonarimampianina hailed Zambia for its role in ensuring peace and security in the region and the continent at large.
President Rajaonarimampianina said his country would support Zambia to ensure that peace and security returns in countries that have conflicts.
He said Zambia and Madagascar shared the same vision on peace and security because the continent cannot develop if there is no peace and security.
The visiting President of Madagascar added that Zambia and Madagascar should work together to fight poverty by developing the agricultural sector to ensure that productivity is enhanced.
He added that as COMESA Chairperson, he would encourage trade between and amongst countries within the region.
He further assured President Lungu that construction of the COMESA headquarters would soon commence and thanked Zambia for hosting the region economic bloc secretariat in Lusaka.
He noted that no other country was most suited to host the secretariat as Zambia had shown willingness and capacity to continue hosting the secretariat.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Mwamba says Lungu has summoned S/Africa opposition - 19 Aug 2017
- Mopani warns employees of possible shutdown - 18 Aug 2017
- VJ questions SADC, AU silence over HH persecution - 18 Aug 2017
- IG has accepted that he is incompetent – Tayali - 18 Aug 2017
- DPP enters nolle in IG case against Tayali - 18 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend