The Patriotic Front has retracted a statement in which it announced the death of its suporter identified as Teacher Kalaluka, whom they yesterday said was murdered by UPND cadres in Chilanga

And Police Spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo has has also said Kalaluka who was reported to have died from the by-election political violence was not even among those who were affected.

Yesterday, PF media director Sunday Chanda issued a statement on behalf of party Secretary General Davies Mwila claiming that Kalaluka had died after being hacked by UPND cadres.

When contacted to confirm the death, Lusaka police commissioner Nelson Phiri told News Diggers! that police were investigating the cause of Kalaluka’s death.

“Of course it is true that last week there was a clash between PF and UPND cadres and some of those who sustained injuries were rushed to UTH, but still we need to confirm if the deceased was among those. We instituted investigations to find out if he died from the beatings or from an illness,” said Phiri, moments before Katongo issued a contradicting statement.

“We would like to dispel reports published in some quarters of the media purporting that a member of the Patriotic Front assaulted during the just ended by-election campaigns in Kalundu area in Chilanga has died. The correct position is that during the said by – election, Police received seven reports of Assault OABH from various complainants and Teacher Kalaluka said to have died is not among the complainants. Only one person among the seven injured identified as Siamutumwa Sikapa aged 37 was admitted to University Teaching Hospital (UTH) and is still receiving medical treatment. UTH Management through its Public Relations Office has confirmed that the victim’s condition is improving,” said Katongo.

Chanda also apologised or the misleading statement he issued.

“Yesterday, 17th September 2017, my Office received information from the Party Provincial Officials to the effect that a PF member who was attacked in Chilanga during the by-election campaigns had passed on. Upon receiving this information, we had it verified with two other Provincial Officials who confirmed the reports. It has come to our attention that the Provincial Officials information was not accurate. The victim is still hospitalised in University Teaching Hospital and remains in our prayers,” stated Chanda.

“We apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused on the victim and the bereaved family. Further, we wish to advise our officials to verify information with the Provincial Party Chairperson before transmitting any such information to the Party Secretariat. Lastly, we continue to call for investigations into the violence to ensure the perpetrators of this violence are brought to book”