by Diggers Reporter on 17 Nov 2019by Diggers Reporter on 17 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 16 Nov 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 16 Nov 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Nov 2019by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 17 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Lungu to address Parliament this FridayBy Mukosha Funga on 15 Mar 2018
President Edgar Lungu will this Friday address Parliament on the application of national values and principles.
And President Lungu says the PF is ready to contest the Chilanga parliamentary seat.
Meanwhile, former Chilanga UPND member of parliament Keith Mukata has asked Speaker of the National Assembly Patrick Matibini to reverse his decision to declare the seat vacant saying his appeal means the conviction has been stayed.
According to a statement issued to ZANIS by the Clerk of the National Assembly Cecilia Mbewe, President Edgar Lungu’s State of the Nation Address will begin at 9:30 hours.
And President Lungu told journalists upon arrival from South Africa that the PF was ready to contest the Chilanga parliamentary seat.
“Chilanga, just like all those other available seats, we are able to contest after all, Zambia is my constituency as President and I am making sure that we are on the ground,” President Lungu said.
Asked if he felt the Speaker was in order to declare the seat vacant, President Lungu said he would rather stick to his lane by performing his executive functions.
“Read the Constitution for yourself and then you will assess wether the Speaker was right or not. But for me, given the sensitivity of these matters, I would rather stick to my lane which is the executive functions of government which I am doing now,” said President Lungu.
“Those matters lie in the jurisdiction of Mr Speaker so we let him exercise his authority and if there are issues to be discussed between me and the Judiciary and the Executive, we know how we handle them but otherwise I think he is the Speaker and the law is there and I think we just have to respect the separation of power between the Judiciary, the Executive and the Legislature.”
Meanwhile, Mukata, through his lawyer Milner Katolo, asked Speaker Matibini to reverse his decision to declare his seat vacant.
Katolo said the judgement that found Mukata guilty of murder could not be executed following his appeal to the Court of Appeals.
He said as things stand, Mukata was not serving any prison sentence and wondered why Speaker Matibini wrote to the Electoral Commission of Zambia informing him of a vacancy in Chilanga Constituency.
Katolo said if Speaker Matibini did not reverse his decision, Mukata would challenge it in the Constitutional Court.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- KCM workers, exam pupils hospitalised in Chingola after inhaling toxic gas from Nchanga Mine - 15 Nov 2019
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses - 15 Nov 2019
- Lubinda’s ignorance is embarrassing, a little learning is dangerous – Prof Ndulo - 7 Nov 2019
- Russia cancels contract for supply of presidential jet to Zambia - 29 Oct 2019
- EL was nice to me, I used opportunity to lobby for students meal allowances – CK - 25 Oct 2019
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period (7,806 views)
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses (5,089 views)
- Sorry Amos, defending a President is a thankless job (4,481 views)
- Siwale displayed my NRC, alleged it belonged to Lungu, ZAF Lieutenant tells court (2,564 views)
- Cop threatens to shoot journalist during Kambwili interrogation (2,291 views)
- I don’t understand how we lost – Mwepu
- Lightning strike kills 4 Kawambwa family members
- Police nab HIV positive maid for breast feeding employer’s baby
- Chaos and Chaos:’ The Trouble with Climate Change and Environmental Protection in Zambia
- Cop threatens to shoot journalist during Kambwili interrogation
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period
- There’re 2 Lungus in State House, we met them both
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses
- Lungu will be easy to beat in 2021 - UPND
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend