- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ presidentBy Mukosha Funga on 14 Aug 2019
In this audio, PF deputy chief whip Tutwa Ngulube alleges that LAZ president Eddie Mwitwa has been paid by a named organization to fight and embarrass government and he must therefore be impeached.
And Ngulube says Constitutional Lawyer John Sangwa SC must immediately recuse himself from the petition before the Constitutional Court regarding Bill 10 or be stripped of his status as State Counsel so that he cannot use it to fight personal battles against President Edgar Lungu.
On Monday, the Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) dragged President Lungu, the Attorney General and the National Assembly to the Constitutional Court for attempting to illegally alter the Constitution of Zambia through Bill 10 of 2019.
But reacting to this, Ngulube said LAZ had agreed not to challenge the bill in court and the court action was proof that Mwitwa wanted to leave a trail of destruction before his term of office ends.
“I would like to support the calls of State Counsel Sakwiba Sikota and other learned State Counsel who have come out in the open and said they would like us to impeach the LAZ president Mr Eddie Mwitwa for dragging the name of the association into serious disrepute and also for being used to fight political battles on behalf of a named opposition political party, the United Party for National Development. It is very clear that Mr Mwitwa, whose term of office is coming to an end would like to leave a trail of destruction on behalf of the Law Association of Zambia. We therefore want to urge the general membership of the Law Association of Zambia to rise and remove Mr Eddie Mwitwa from office,” Ngulube said.
“I am also aware, as a member of parliament who is also a lawyer and fully paid up member of the Law Association of Zambia that Mr Eddie Mwitwa cannot impose his hatred of President Lungu on the general membership of the Law Association of Zambia. His personal views or vendetta must not be misunderstood to mean that he represents the views of the entire legal fraternity and the entire Law Association of Zambia.”
He charged that Mwitwa had been paid and challenged Sangwa to recuse himself from the petition.
“We are aware also that Mr Mwitwa has been paid by a named institution to fight the Patriotic Front government and also to embarrass government but we are also saying, both Mr Eddie Mwitwa and Mr John Sangwa SC were lawyers representing Mr Hakainde Hichilema in the presidential petition who failed to win the case in the ConCourt and are now trying to use the Constitution to protract their battle against His Excellency the President of this country Mr Edgar Chagwa Lungu. We are also aware that Mr Mwitwa does not mean well for our association. Just like state counsel John Sangwa is State Counsel, he is expected as State Counsel to guide the state whenever he feels there is something that the state is not doing correctly. He is not supposed to use his rank as State Counsel to fight government or to fight the state. We therefore call upon the President to strip him off the status and rank of State Counsel and let him go and continue fighting on his own without hiding under the umbrella of State Counsel. We therefore demand that Mr John Sangwa should immediately recuse himself from the court proceedings or if he fails, we will petition the President to remove his rank as State Counsel so that he does not use his position and status in the legal fraternity to fight his personal battles against the President,” said Ngulube.
Ngulube also said Sangwa was being illogical by taking a petition before a court whose judges he insulted and publicly embarrassed.
He also insisted that no other institution could regulate what Parliament does.
Take a listen:
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk - 25 Aug 2019
- Govt’s job is not to defend the corrupt, but prosecute them – Mwenye - 23 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 – Kalaluka - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwenye’s corruption remarks irk PF - 22 Aug 2019
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding - 22 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,899 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,295 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,016 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (931 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (794 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend