- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ presidentBy Mukosha Funga on 14 Aug 2019
In this audio, PF deputy chief whip Tutwa Ngulube alleges that LAZ president Eddie Mwitwa has been paid by a named organization to fight and embarrass government and he must therefore be impeached.
And Ngulube says Constitutional Lawyer John Sangwa SC must immediately recuse himself from the petition before the Constitutional Court regarding Bill 10 or be stripped of his status as State Counsel so that he cannot use it to fight personal battles against President Edgar Lungu.
On Monday, the Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) dragged President Lungu, the Attorney General and the National Assembly to the Constitutional Court for attempting to illegally alter the Constitution of Zambia through Bill 10 of 2019.
But reacting to this, Ngulube said LAZ had agreed not to challenge the bill in court and the court action was proof that Mwitwa wanted to leave a trail of destruction before his term of office ends.
“I would like to support the calls of State Counsel Sakwiba Sikota and other learned State Counsel who have come out in the open and said they would like us to impeach the LAZ president Mr Eddie Mwitwa for dragging the name of the association into serious disrepute and also for being used to fight political battles on behalf of a named opposition political party, the United Party for National Development. It is very clear that Mr Mwitwa, whose term of office is coming to an end would like to leave a trail of destruction on behalf of the Law Association of Zambia. We therefore want to urge the general membership of the Law Association of Zambia to rise and remove Mr Eddie Mwitwa from office,” Ngulube said.
“I am also aware, as a member of parliament who is also a lawyer and fully paid up member of the Law Association of Zambia that Mr Eddie Mwitwa cannot impose his hatred of President Lungu on the general membership of the Law Association of Zambia. His personal views or vendetta must not be misunderstood to mean that he represents the views of the entire legal fraternity and the entire Law Association of Zambia.”
He charged that Mwitwa had been paid and challenged Sangwa to recuse himself from the petition.
“We are aware also that Mr Mwitwa has been paid by a named institution to fight the Patriotic Front government and also to embarrass government but we are also saying, both Mr Eddie Mwitwa and Mr John Sangwa SC were lawyers representing Mr Hakainde Hichilema in the presidential petition who failed to win the case in the ConCourt and are now trying to use the Constitution to protract their battle against His Excellency the President of this country Mr Edgar Chagwa Lungu. We are also aware that Mr Mwitwa does not mean well for our association. Just like state counsel John Sangwa is State Counsel, he is expected as State Counsel to guide the state whenever he feels there is something that the state is not doing correctly. He is not supposed to use his rank as State Counsel to fight government or to fight the state. We therefore call upon the President to strip him off the status and rank of State Counsel and let him go and continue fighting on his own without hiding under the umbrella of State Counsel. We therefore demand that Mr John Sangwa should immediately recuse himself from the court proceedings or if he fails, we will petition the President to remove his rank as State Counsel so that he does not use his position and status in the legal fraternity to fight his personal battles against the President,” said Ngulube.
Ngulube also said Sangwa was being illogical by taking a petition before a court whose judges he insulted and publicly embarrassed.
He also insisted that no other institution could regulate what Parliament does.
Take a listen:
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Southern Africa Human Rights Defenders Network calls for Sangwa’s reinstatement - 20 Mar 2020
- Parley adjournment God-given opportunity to campaign for Bill 10 – Lubinda - 20 Mar 2020
- UN Rapporteur on Independence of Judges and Lawyers defends Sangwa - 16 Mar 2020
- Judiciary bars Sangwa from appearing before any Zambian court - 13 Mar 2020
- I’ll limit my campaign to LAZ members – Shonga - 13 Mar 2020
- Cabinet debates total lockdown (30,223 views)
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish! (9,776 views)
- Sangwa asks Lungu to declare State of Emergency (9,514 views)
- Zambia’s economy will take years to recover from Coronavirus - Siliya (8,519 views)
- Zambian student chased from Chinese University over suspected COVID-19 (6,741 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- COVID-19 cases rise to 29
- We’ve started mobilizing funds to fight COVID-19 – Ng’andu
- Justice Without Remedy? A Comment on the Constitutional Court Judgment in the Case of Kambwili v Attorney General
- Philosophy & Homosexuality
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish!
- Cabinet debates total lockdown
- What will be Mr Lungu’s achievements by 2021?
- Chitalu announces 6 more Covid-19 cases
- Zambia’s economy will take years to recover from Coronavirus – Siliya
- LCC not ready for COVID-19, says Mayor
- COVID-19 cases rise to 22
- Topstar removes Prime TV from its platforms
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend