Mopani Copper Mines has announced that it will cut its labour force for direct employees as it shuts down Mindolo Shaft.
Management has informed the mineworkers unions that 212 employees will be affected, sources said.
Public relations manager Nebert Mulenga has said in a statement, Thursday, that operations at the Mindola North Shaft will cease on the 31 August, 2019 and will result in job loss for employees based at the plant.
Mulenga stated that the cessation of operations at the shaft had been necessitated by the shaft reaching the end of it’s economic life.
He however disclosed the company had commissioned four new shafts which would extend the life of the mine by a further 25 years.
“Mopani Copper Mines Plc wishes to confirm that the cessation of operations at Mindola North Shaft in Kitwe will take effect on 31 August 2019.The cessation of operations at Mindola North Shaft has been necessitated by the shaft’s reaching the end of its economic life and its closure was always part of our plan as we commissioned the new shafts, namely; Synclinorium, Mindola Deeps and Henderson shafts as well as the Synclinorium Concentrator. The closure of Mindola North Shaft will regrettably result in the loss of jobs for some direct employees, who were based at the shaft,” read the statement.
“Furthermore, all Mopani Copper Mines Plc employees who expressed interest in taking up the Voluntary Separation of Service (VSS) option will also be allowed to separate. The company has arranged specialised training in Entrepreneurship and Change Management for all separating employees, and will also continue providing them with medical services as per the prevailing conditions of service. Mopani Copper Mines Plc continues to engage all stakeholders, including the government and Unions on these developments,” stated Mulenga.