- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Minister, VEEP disagree on time-frame for rebuilding City MarketBy Karen Mwelwa on 11 Jul 2017
Vice-President Inonge Wina says government has assigned the Zambia National Service (ZNS), and the Lusaka City Council (LCC) to rebuild the recently gutted City Market within a period of six weeks.
But local government minister Vincent Mwale says it’s impossible to rebuild the burnt Market with the designed expansion in less than 12 months.
The Vice president said this when she chaired a committee of Ministers appointed by the President following the fire incident.
“An alternative market site to be used while the rebuilding of city market is ongoing has been identified as Soweto market. The option of other possible sites remain open. City market will be rebuilt in 6 weeks and the exercise will be led by ZNS and in collaboration with LCC and the business community,” the Vice president said.
“A technical committee consisting government and city council technocrats and city market representatives will be created immediately. The technical committee will look into a recovery plan by mobilizing resources for relief for the affected marketeers and rehabilitation for the market.”
Wina also said that the bank account for the contributions towards the city market victims would be housed at the bank of Zambia for transparency reasons.
And Patriots for Economic Progress (PeP) president Sean Tembo said Wina’s committee was unnecessarily too large.
“We have noted that this committee is made up of more than ten Cabinet ministers, and is headed by her honor, the Vice President of the Republic of Zambia as well as more than 15 senior civil servants including permanent secretaries. Our observation is that the money that will be spent in paying allowances for these people as well as the lost productive time that these people will loose in focusing on this matter, will be very costly on to the entire nation. Such allowances could be used to alleviating poverty levels in this country,” Tembo said.
“This is a small matter which should have been handled by the Lusaka City Council and a committee of not more than four people constituted under the Lusaka City Council could have adequately attended to this matter. We believe that this is a miss prioritization of what is important to the nation as well as the significant and magnitude of what to really put on the agenda.”
Meanwhile, Mwale said the relocation of City Market traders could take up to six weeks, but the rebuilding of the Market was not possible in less than 12 months.
He was responding to a point of clarification raised in Parliament today after his ministerial statement contradicted what Vice-President Wina said yesterday.
“My statement Madam Speaker is meant to correct the information that was given yesterday on ZNBC news that rebuilding the market would take six weeks. The New market will accommodate the current number of traders by five fold. It may have four to five storeys… To do that, it will not be possible in less than 12 months,” said Mwale.
“Perhaps those who are saying six weeks are referring to the relocation of traders, because City Market has been closed to allow the ongoing investigations. People are not allowed to have access to the place, so to relocate them to the other Soweto Market may take at least six weeks depending on how fast the investigative wings conclude their investigations.”Related Items
- If Lungu doesn’t know, then he’s not in control (19,179 views)
- We’ve arrested 2 gassing masterminds, claims Kampyongo (7,301 views)
- Gassing a ploy to keep me from 2021 ballot - HH (7,300 views)
- DEC seizes Bugatti on suspicion of money laundering (5,342 views)
- Witnesses turn against accused in Sunday Nkonde's theft (2,905 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- PF lied to Zambians – Sangwa
- Chongwe’s advice on Bill 10 too late – Mundubile
- High Court refuses to restrain Dangote from quarrying on Masaiti farmland
- Kariba over-generating power from little water, says Nkhuwa
- ECZ was satisfied with my G12 results, insists Lundazi MP
- Diggers, EIA oppose Lubinda’s application for interim injunction
- Govt hasn’t failed to manage public universities, claims Mushimba
- Bowman’s continued attacks on HH exposing his abnormality – Mucheleka
- Bill 10 is opposition’s best chance of forming govt in 2021 – Tutwa
- Zamtel cleans balance sheet through K390m debt to equity swap with Infratel
- Kambwili condemns Dora for justifying extrajudicial killings
- Gassing a PF scheme to destabilize UPND – Sacika
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend