- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018
- Goal Diggers
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Jan 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Jan 2018
- by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 18 Jan 2018
- Editor's Choice
- by Felix Kashweka on 13 Jan 2018by Diggers Admin on 11 Jan 2018by Tenson Mkhala on 6 Jan 2018by Felix Kashweka on 31 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 22 Jan 2018by Dr Charles Sinkala on 22 Jan 2018by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Jan 2018by Nachilala Nkombo on 20 Jan 2018
Shonga testifies against Mwaliteta, SiandengeBy Mukosha Funga on 12 Jun 2017
A police officer has named former Western Province Commissioner Fanwell Siandenge as one of the people behind the aggravated robbery case where some Presidential election results among other things were allegedly stolen after the August 11, 2016 general elections.
In this matter, UPND members Obvious Mwaliteta, Evans Mukobela, Macmillan Shimukonka, Laswell Phiri, and Emmanuel Mumbi charged with aggravated robbery.
In the first count, they are alleged to have on August 14, 2016 stolen a handbag containing various documents valued at K750, an envelope containing Gen Form 12 and a record of proceedings for Chingola Constituency from Elina Nyirenda, the property of the ECZ.
In count two, the five are accused of stealing a Blackberry cell phone valued at K4,000, the property of Emmanuel Simbeye and immediately or before threatened to use actual violence on the latter.
Mwaliteta and others are in the third count accused of having stolen statements of results (Gen 12 form) from Roy Kuseka, property of the Electoral Commission of Zambia and used or threatened to use actual violence on him in order to obtain, prevent or overcome resistance from it being stolen and retained.
In his testimony today, Arthur Shonga, a superintendent told Lusaka High Court Judge Mwape Bowa that during some of his investigations, he discovered that Siandenge was part of the robbery.
Shonga further testified that on the material day, he was on duty when he received a report of aggravated robbery in which some officials from ECZ were attacked after they landed at City Airport.
He says he rushed to ECZ headquarters where he found three returning officers, Elina Nyirenda, Emmanuel Simbeye and Roy Kuseka who were attacked and had some presidential election results stolen from them together with personal belongings.
Shonga narrated that the police officer he found at the scene showed him a BMW motor vehicle and Toyota Mark II with a phone abandoned by the assailants.
He availed that the officer also informed him that while he was holding the Alcatel phone which was found in the Mark II, it rang and it indicated “Compo Siandenge”, which is a telegraphic address for Commissioner of Police.
He told the court that there was once a Commissioner by the name of Siandenge in the police service.
Shonga said one of the suspects told him during an interview as to why they were at the scene that they had been instructed by Siandenge.
Shonga further told the court that the officer he had found told him he had intercepted a Land Cruiser motor vehicle which was being driven by Mwaliteta and Siandenge as one of the occupants.
Shonga further testified that his investigations revealed that there was communication between some of the accused persons and Siandenge.
Shonga claimed that three ECZ officials were beaten, pepper sprayed and sustained injuries during the robbery.
He says the incident happened between Zambia Air Force and ECZ headquarters as the three were trying to deliver election materials from Chingola and Ndola after they landed at City Airport.
Recently, Inspector General of Police Kakoma Kanganja recently offered a K100,000 reward to anyone who would lead to Siandenge’s arrest.
“The Zambia Police Service is offering a K100,000 reward to any person or persons with information that would lead to the arrest of a fugitive Fanwell Siandenge, who is on a wanted list for the offence of aggravated robbery,” said Kanganja.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha Funga is a Zambian journalist interested in good governance and anti corruption reporting.
- Govt threatens to cancel CBU unions’ licenses for locking up VC - 23 Jan 2018
- Amnesty International seeks protection for Pilato - 23 Jan 2018
- PF cadres attack Kambwili’s supporters at Central Police - 23 Jan 2018
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges - 23 Jan 2018
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves - 22 Jan 2018
- Lungu's theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer - HH
- PF cadres attack Kambwili's supporters at Central Police
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves
- Antonio too young for politics of the belly
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «January 2018»
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend