by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 8 Dec 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 6 Dec 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 6 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 6 Dec 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 5 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 4 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 28 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 27 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 7 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 8 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 6 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019
by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 3 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 1 Dec 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Julius Kapembwa (PhD) on 5 Dec 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 4 Dec 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Nov 2019by Dr Chishimba Mubanga, MSc on 22 Nov 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Sampa Kabwela on 23 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019
Court hears how businesswoman hid 68 tins of ephedrine at KKIABy Zondiwe Mbewe on 8 Feb 2019
A Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) assistance investigations officer has told the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that she arrested a woman at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport (KKIA) who had 68 tins of ephedrine concealed in two bags labelled rice flour.
Rosalin Hameja further told the court that Beatrice Saili lied when she testified that DEC apprehended her with 32 tins of ephedrine and US $300.
This is the matter in which suspended Lusaka-based Magistrate Maggie Tantameni is jointly-charged with Felix Mkandawire, a court interpreter; Francis Mphanza a senior public prosecutor and Didie Kangwa a senior clerk of court, with three counts of abuse of authority, removal of property under lawful seizure and stealing of 34.0 kilogrammes of ephedrine valued at K1,870,000, but they all pleaded not guilty.
Saili, a 42 year-old businesswoman, had previously told the court that she was convicted in 2017 after she was apprehended by some DEC officers at KKIA with two bags containing 34 tins of ephedrine weighing 68Kg.
But when the matter came up for continued trial before a Chisamba-based Magistrate siting in Lusaka, Susan Mangilashi, Wednesday, Hameja told the court that she conducted a search on Saili, who was coming from India and found her in possession of 68 tins of ephedrine in the two bags she was carrying.
She added that the ephedrine was concealed in tins labelled rice flour and Saili voluntarily admitted it was ephedrine after asking her.
“I searched a small hand bag she had. Afterwards, I asked her if she had any other luggage and she told me she had two bags. We then went to an office with her two bags labelled rice flour and in the presence of my supervisor, we opened the bags, which had tins with white stuff. I asked her what was in the tins, she told me it was ephedrine,” Hameja narrated.
She said she later on administered a warn and caution statement and obtained a laboratory affidavit confirming that the drug weighed 34Kgs.
During cross-examination, Hameja said she only opened four out of the 68 tins of ephedrine at the airport.
Thereafter, she said she took all the 68 tins to the public analyst where they were all opened.
Hameja further told the court that Saili lied when she testified that DEC apprehended her with 32 tins of ephedrine.
Meanwhile, another witness identified as Nelson Phiri, 37, a DEC officer, said he was tasked to take a male suspect before Honourable Tantameni’s court with the exhibits and was later told me that the court would be held in a library.
He said when he reached the court’s library, he met his colleague who brought the female suspect, Beatrice Saili, with the exhibits.
He later identified Mkandawire, Mphanza and Tantameni as the people who were in the library during the hearing of Saili’s matter.
The matter comes up on February 11 for continued trial.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court orders Tutwa to pay Mwitwa damages for libel - 7 Dec 2019
- Trial continues in ritual killings case involving soldier, traditional healer - 6 Dec 2019
- Prime TV sues former employee for defamation - 6 Dec 2019
- Judge Nkonde narrates how security guard stole money from his house - 6 Dec 2019
- Girl narrates how biological father impregnated her - 6 Dec 2019
- Govt's attacks against Foote diplomatic gobbledegook - Mpombo (1,049 view)
- Lungu, Tasila in Mukula cartel (760 views)
- Wina describes UPND’s Lupososhi ward election victory as ‘small fish’ (710 views)
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation (679 views)
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel (624 views)
- Age just a number for prolific Chamanga
- Wina describes UPND’s Lupososhi ward election victory as ‘small fish’
- High Court orders Tutwa to pay Mwitwa damages for libel
- Govt’s attacks against Foote diplomatic gobbledegook – Mpombo
- When the ruling party owns the Constitution making process, citizens lose it – Mwenye
- A bitter sweet message from the U.S Ambassador on gay crimes, hypocrisy
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel
- I'll retain power in 2021 because I'm humble - Lungu
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation
- Stop dividing us, stay out of politics, Lungu tells clergy
Subscribe For News In Email
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend