- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Student sues Legana, PicknPay over ‘condom in sausage’By Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Aug 2019
A clinical medicine student has sued Legana Meat Products and PicknPay in the Lusaka High Court, claiming damages for nausea and excessive vomiting after allegedly consuming Hungarian sausage which had what appeared to be a used condom.
Luyando Kopakopa who claims that she went into convulsion after consuming the same, further wants an order from the court that Legana Meat Products be advised to produce sausages in conformity with the general standards, among other claims.
In a statement of claim filed in the Lusaka High Court principal registry yesterday, Kopakopa explained that she was a clinical medicine student, whereas the defendants were companies specialised in particular meat products and chain store retailers, respectively.
She stated that on August 3, this year, she purchased 1kg Legana Hungarian sausage from PicknPay at Makeni Mall and kept the said sausages in the freezer for three days.
Kopakopa claimed that on August 6, she fried one or two sausages but when she tasted one, she encountered what appeared to be a used condom which contained some meat inside.
She further claimed that the meat which surrounded the condom appeared like human flesh to her.
“On or about August 3, 2019, Kopakopa purchased 1 kg of Hungarian sausage from PicknPay, Makeni Mall and stored it in a freezer up until August 6, 2019 when she opted to fry one or two. She immediately tried to give a piece to the spouse and thereafter proceeded to taste some but she encountered what appeared to be a used condom, which condom contained some meat inside and outside, as the meat which surrounded the condom in the face of the plaintiff appeared like human flesh,” read the statement of claim.
Kopakopa claimed that upon consuming the same, she went into convulsion, stress, fear and ultimately excessive vomiting.
“As a result of the above, Kopakopa went into rage to a point whereby she had no option but to alert the members of the public through a video on social media of the danger and fear she encountered by consuming the product of Legana Meat Products,” read the statement of claim further.
Kopakopa stated that when she went to seek medical attention at Kabwata Clinic, doctors diagnosed her and found that she was traumatized.
She claimed that the excessive vomiting and stomach upset led to the inflammation of the ribs.
Kopakopa is now claiming damages for tortious liability arising out of the consumption of the disputed Hungarian sausage, as well as, general damages for nausea, excessive vomiting and inflammation of the ribs.
She further wants an order that Legana Meat Products be advised or guided to produce Hungarian sausage in conformity with the general standards in order to put would be clients safe, as the sausage she consumed was of a lesser standard and was different from the other sausages that the company produces.
Kopakopa is further claiming an order that the court must take the video and its contexts which went viral on social media pertaining to the defective sausage product not to have been made in malafade or ill intentions as complained by Legana Meat Products that she gave false information to the general public.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt - 25 Aug 2019
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,981 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,418 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,051 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (961 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (824 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend