by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Nov 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga and Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019by Mazuba Muleya on 7 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Murder trial for Benny Zulu startsBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019
Trial has commenced in a matter in which former Family Health Trust executive director Benny Zulu is charged with murder of a 19-year-old woman whose body was discovered dumped in the outskirts of Lusaka.
The mother of the deceased testified before the Lusaka High Court that her daughter received a phone call from an unknown person before she disappeared from home.
In this matter, Zulu is charged with murder and particulars of the offence are that on July 9 this year, he murdered Natasha Mukandawire.
When the matter came up for trial before Lusaka High Court judge Wilfred Muma, Monday, Mkandawire’s mother, Mulipa Besa, a teacher, testified that her daughter went missing from home after she spoke to someone on phone.
Besa told the court that whilst she was preparing a lesson plan in her sitting room at their Ngwerere home on July 9 this year, her daughter came out of her bedroom around 20:00 hours while speaking to someone on phone.
She said Mkandawire went to the kitchen and told her two siblings to escort her outside but after a few minutes, the siblings returned without her.
Besa said when she asked the siblings where Mkandawire was, one of them assured her that she would be back soon, but that did not materialize.
She said she sent her daughter a text message asking her where she was, but the message was not delivered and she knew in that moment that Natasha’s phone was off.
Besa said after about 30 minutes, she called Natasha but her phone was still off.
She further told the court that she started calling her family members including her older brother, Jackson Besa, informing them that Mkandawire was missing from home but they advised her to be patient.
Besa said the following day, she reported for work and that around 15:30 hours, she reported to Ngwerere Police Station about her missing daughter and told the police that Mkandawire was last seen clad in white leggings, black sleeveless top, bush green head sock and purple slippers.
Besa said on July 11, this year, she received a phone call from Ngwerere Police Station and when she went there, she was informed that officers had picked an unidentified body and that she should go and check at the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) mortuary.
She testified that her older brother went to the mortuary where he indeed identified Mkandawire’s body.
Asked in cross examination by the defence lawyer whether her daughter had a boyfriend, Besa said yes.
She told the court that she knew Mkandawire’s boyfriend as Ignatius Chikoloma, a police officer at Ngwerere Police Station because her daughter used to talk about him on a daily basis, adding that she also used to receive gifts from him.
Further asked whether she knew Zulu, Besa said yes and explained that she knew him only as a Ngwerere resident.
Trial continues on Wednesday.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- ConCourt grants M’membe withdrawal to review costs ordered on him over Post liquidation - 15 Nov 2019
- Lusaka man gets 60 years for aggravated robbery - 15 Nov 2019
- Govt didn’t obtain the people’s views on Bill 10, Mwitwa tells ConCourt - 15 Nov 2019
- Police slap Kabwe trucker with 12 charges of causing death by dangerous driving - 14 Nov 2019
- CK gets another defamation of the president charge - 14 Nov 2019
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses (8,399 views)
- DEC arrests Amos for corrupt practices (1,805 view)
- I am ready to face DEC, says Amos (1,620 view)
- Court awards K3.3m damages to family of ZAF officer who died in police custody (1,150 view)
- KCM workers, exam pupils hospitalised in Chingola after inhaling toxic gas from Nchanga Mine (1,069 view)
- Chief Mukuni urged people to vote UPND in 2016, reveals Commission of Inquiry
- Enemies want to divide us as we get to 2021 – Lungu
- PF rule has no respect for human life – ZCCB
- Load shedding, kwacha depreciation slashing business performance – BCI
- Govt will get $2.03bn loan from China for Chipata-Serenje Railway project, reveals Minister
- There’re 2 Lungus in State House, we met them both
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu
- HH among directors of company seeking to mine in Lower Zambezi - Musukwa tells parley
- Yes, Zambia’s debt is criminal!
- Govt cancelled presidential jet purchase due to austerity measures – Wina
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend