- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017by Osward Sichone in Kafue on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Lungu mourns Salome KapwepweBy Tenson Mkhala on 9 May 2017
President Edgar Lungu has described freedom fighter Salome Kapwepwe as a heroine who selflessly and significantly contributed to the country’s liberation struggle.
Mourning the death of former Vice- President Simon Mwansa Kapwepwe’s widow in a statement issued by his special assistant Amos Chanda, President Lungu said Zambia had lost a great icon who was an epitome of what women ought to be to their families, society and the nation as a whole.
He said without Salome’s immense sacrifice in coordination with other women, it would have been difficult for the country to gain
The President observes that Salome and others were great fighters who were team spirited.
“On behalf of the government of the republic of Zambia and indeed on my own behalf, I wish to convey my heartfelt condolences to the
Kapwepwe family and the people of Chinsali in Muchinga Province on the loss of our great mother whose contribution to Zambia’s liberation struggle will always be cherished. As you go through this trying period, may you find fortitude and comfort in the Almighty God. May the Soul of our great mother, rest in peace,” President Lungu said.
He said she and others laid a firm foundation for strong families and a united Zambia politically anchored on divine principles of love, hard work, peace and unity and hoped that the Zambian youth particularly the young women would emulate this.
He further noted that the late Salome held their families together regardless of the challenging times hence families remained intact resulting in Zambia being peaceful, united and stable after independence.
He recalled his call to the nation in his Africa Freedom Day Address on Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) television last year under the theme: “Celebrating the Role of Women in the Liberation Struggle,” to pay tribute to the founding mothers who included Salome for their invaluable sacrifices and support during the liberation struggle.
Salome passed away in her sleep last night at the age of 90.
About Tenson Mkhala
Tenson Mkhala is our resident photo journalist.
Email: tenson [at] diggers [dot] news
- Respect marriage – KBF - 8 Oct 2017
- We need improved education system for positive change – Msiska - 5 Oct 2017
- Govt improves farmer registration process - 28 Sep 2017
- Zambia’s Karima aims high at Dubai cooking competition - 26 Sep 2017
- Parliament should be able to detect, stop abuse of public resources – Speaker - 26 Sep 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- We are not a university for the poor - UNZA
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi's jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend