by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Mukosha Funga on 15 Oct 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
UNDP selects Zambia for SDGs acceleration initiativeBy Mukosha Funga on 21 Jan 2019
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has selected Zambia as one of the 60 pilot countries for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Accelerator Labs, an innovative initiative which is expected to contribute to achievement of the SDGs.
According to a statement issued by Ministry of National Planning spokesperson Chibaula Silwamba, Sunday, this came to light when the Minister of National Development Planning Alexander Chiteme paid a courtesy on UNDP’s new Director for the Regional Bureau for Africa (RBA) Ahunna Eziakonwa, on the sidelines of the Third International Conference on the Emergence of Africa (ICEA) in Dakar, Senegal.
“Ms. Eziakonwa assured Hon. Chiteme of UNDP’s continued support towards Zambia’s development agenda. Ms. Eziakonwa commended Zambia for its political stability in the region, which is an asset in development. In line with the theme of the 2019 International Conference on Emergence of Africa, Ms. Eziakonwa acknowledged that Zambia was among the first few countries to promote local content strategies for private sector development. The UNDP regional chief emphasised the need to grow local entrepreneurs into national champions, including creating an enabling environment for youth participation in private sector development. And Hon. Chiteme congratulated Ms. Eziakonwa on her appointment and called for continued collaboration between Zambia and UNDP,” Chibaula stated.
“The Minister informed Ms. Eziakonwa that, as a lower middle-income country, Zambia’s macroeconomic situation is improving, with the 2018 economic growth estimated at 4 per cent from a low 2.9 per cent in 2015. Inflation has been contained within the 6 per cent to 8 percent target range, closing the year 2018 at 7.9 per cent from the high levels of 22 per cent in February 2016. Hon. Chiteme informed the UNDP Director for the Regional Bureau for Africa that Zambia was implementing its 7th National Development Plan (7NDP. The Hon. Minister underscored the fact that the Plan had mainstreamed the SDGs up to 86 percent alignment. Hon. Chiteme called on the UNDP for continued support and collaboration in the implementation of the 7NDP, and SDGs, strengthening national capacities in monitoring and reporting systems, including formulation of the Zambia SDG Baseline Report. This Report will inform preparation of the Zambia National Voluntary Review (NVR), planned for presentation at the 2020 High Level Political Forum at the United Nations.”
Meanwhile, at the Third International Conference on the Emergence of Africa, Chiteme was the moderator for the Ministerial panel discussion that focused on championing access to finance and strategies to attract Foreign Director Investment (FDI) in Africa.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Milupi doubts Zesco’s pending power import deal with Eskom - 15 Oct 2019
- TIZ raises red flag against Govt, AVIC on Kafulafuta, Sata Toll Plazas - 8 Oct 2019
- Govt single-sourced AVIC…to construct the $4.3m Toll Plaza which broke down months later - 7 Oct 2019
- Kaoma police nab UPND cadre in shooting incident - 6 Oct 2019
- DEC withdraws summon on Findlay - 3 Oct 2019
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (3,191 views)
- RDA, AVIC single sourcing deal pure corruption - Kambwili (1,410 view)
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba's legitimacy in court (1,169 view)
- UNZA congratulates Prof Nalubamba on his coronation as senior chief (1,107 view)
- UTH hikes user fees (1,022 view)
- Commission of Inquiry into violence report is public information – Chipampe
- Zambia’ll be a war zone in 2021 if violence isn’t curtailed – Mpombo
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba’s legitimacy in court
- Milupi doubts Zesco’s pending power import deal with Eskom
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend