by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Mukosha Funga on 15 Oct 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
PF pours scorn on Kalaba in Bahati campaignsBy Thomas Mulenga on 21 Mar 2019
PF Deputy Campaign Manager in the Bahati parliamentary by-election, Emmanuel Chungu, says people in the area would suffer the same way the people in Chipili are suffering if they decide to reject the ruling party’s candidate and vote for the opposition.
Speaking during the PF Media Interactive Forum in Mansa, Wednesday, Chungu who is also Mansa mayor said Bahati was not developed because former MP Harry Kalaba, who is now opposition Democratic Party leader, concentrated on his presidential ambitions instead of serving the people.
And PF candidate Charles Chalwe says he does not need to be a resident of Bahati for him to deliver development in the area.
“Surely you don’t need to say that it should be the opposition that must win the elections, we are not changing Presidents here, it’s a parliamentary by election. So it would be naïve for one to say that ‘we need to put an opposition candidate’. How is he going to work with the President? Look at how things are in Chipili where people felt an independent candidate would actually perform better than somebody from the ruling party, people are crying. So here you need to create a good relationship with people that you are working with,” Chungu said.
“What led to this situation here in Bahati was lack of concentration by Harry Kalaba to deliver to the people. His pre-occupation was to unseat Edgar Chagwa Lungu. Now the question would be ‘you failed to finish a small clinic, two or four rooms, you fail to finish a one by two classroom block, it’s at slab level, how are you going to manage the country? So this is why we are telling our candidate that concentrate on what you can do for the people of Bahati.”
And PF candidate Charles Chalwe said he did not need to be a resident of Bahati for him to deliver development to the area.
“The issue of me not being a resident of Bahati can never ever be true. But, I don’t think it will be right to limit the type of people that should be vying just because they have to stay in Bahati. First of all let me tell you this, the insinuation that I have never lived in Bahati is not true because I was born in Bahati, I went to school in Mansa at government schools. And during the time we were growing up, there were no high schools and colleges in Bahati, unless they are saying I should have just restricted my self to staying in Bahati, which could have prevented me from having the tertiary education that I have now, which would have also prevented me from developing into a person I have become today,” Chalwe said.
“So I think that issue doesn’t hold water because to serve people, you don’t even have to be a resident of that particular area. I have stayed in Bahati myself, I have a house in Senama and I have a lot of people that know me there.”
At this point Chungu interrupted to remind the audience that even Kalaba and Mansa Central MP Dr Chitalu Chilufya were not residents in their constituencies.
“Even the former MP Kalaba never resided in Bahati, he was staying in Lusaka. Yes he may have been born in Mansa district but he never lived in Bahati, later, I think after being in the office for 3 years or so, that’s when he built a house and the house is occupied every time he visits Mansa. What I am saying is that it is not about one staying in an area, it is the heart that one has for the people. Let’s talk about Dr Chitalu Chilufya, he spends 90% of his time in Lusaka but things are moving together with you people. The issue is that Dr Chitalu Chilufya has a heart for the people,” Chungu said.
Continuing with his remarks, Chalwe said he was going to fill the gap that was created by Kalaba whom he accused of having forgotten about people in the area.
“Kalaba was telling people that ‘Kalaba talaba’ (Kalaba doesn’t forget) but Kalaba has forgotten his own people. So when Kalaba forgot about his own people, there was no link between the central government and the people of Bahati. That is the gap that I have come to fill in,” said Chalwe.
About Thomas Mulenga
Thomas Mulenga has a special interest in political news, current affairs, community and education news.
- Registrar of Societies playing foolish politics – NAREP - 31 May 2019
- Lungu committed to delivering health care services – Chilufya - 31 May 2019
- Austerity measures a sham – Kambwili - 31 May 2019
- NAREP opposes cancellation of agricultural shows in 3 provinces - 30 May 2019
- Kang’ombe’s victory in Sesheke petition a lesson to PF – UPND - 30 May 2019
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (3,287 views)
- RDA, AVIC single sourcing deal pure corruption - Kambwili (1,426 view)
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba's legitimacy in court (1,282 view)
- UNZA congratulates Prof Nalubamba on his coronation as senior chief (1,124 view)
- UTH hikes user fees (1,032 view)
- Commission of Inquiry into violence report is public information – Chipampe
- Zambia’ll be a war zone in 2021 if violence isn’t curtailed – Mpombo
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba’s legitimacy in court
- Milupi doubts Zesco’s pending power import deal with Eskom
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend