- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Sep 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Sep 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 21 Sep 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017by Elias Munshya on 18 Sep 2017by President Edgar Lungu on 13 Sep 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 10 Sep 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Lungu qualifies to stand in 2021 – KabimbaBy Mirriam Chabala on 6 Jan 2017
RAINBOW Party leader Wynter Kabimba says President Edgar Lungu qualifies to re-contest the 2021 general elections because the Amended Constitution allows him to contest for a third term.
But political analyst Dr Alex Ngoma has advised politicians to respect the Constitution.
Yesterday, January 5, 2017, President Lungu said he would stand in 2021, a pronouncement which was received with mixed feelings.
“I read the Constitution yesterday, I am eligible for 2021. If you want you can go to the Constitutional Court. I am eligible to stand for elections in 2021 and God willing if I am around, if I am still alive, I will stand,” said President Lungu.
But Kabimba, who is also former justice minister, said the Amended Constitution was clear that President Lungu qualified to re-contest in 2021.
“In terms of a third term, yes he qualifies if you look at the Constitution, if you want to look at the Constitution go to Constitution Amendment number 2 of 2016 you will find a clause there; it is very clear,” Kabimba said.
He however wondered whether the PF central committee had unanimously agreed that when they go for a conference in 2020, they would elect President Lungu as their candidate for the 2021 polls.
“The PF is supposed to go for a general conference in 2020, I don’t know myself whether or not the central committee of Patriotic Front had sat and decided that when they go for a general conference in 2020, their candidate would be President Edgar Lungu that’s an internal affair of the party all I know is that there is a general conference of the Patriotic Front in 2020 during which period they are supposed to elect a party president who is also going to be the presidential candidate,” said Kabimba.
But Dr Ng’oma has advised political party leaders to respect the Constitution for the sake of peace and unity in the country.
He stated that if the Republican Constitution did not allow President Lungu to stand again, it would be wrong for him to do so and risked destabilizing Zambia’s peace and democracy.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kwacha depreciation worries ZUFIAW - 23 Sep 2017
- Lungu has taken Zambians for fools – Chipimo - 23 Sep 2017
- Electricity price will drop after Zesco clears its loans – MD - 21 Sep 2017
- IT system not giving us chance to ask questions in Parliament, complains UPND - 21 Sep 2017
- Foreigners shouldn’t own land for 99 years – Kapita - 19 Sep 2017
You may also like...
- It has now become a trend for traffic officers to be beaten - Munir Zulu
- Lungu has taken Zambians for fools – Chipimo
- Zambian professor melts hearts for helping single mother baby sit in his class
- It's hard to believe Kambwili's accusations in the absence of evidence - Wynter
- Kampyongo got three cars for awarding fire tender contract to Grandview - Kambwili
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «September 2017»
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend