- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 21 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Southern Province chiefs will cause hunger – PFBy Stella Goma on 27 Dec 2016
PATRIOTIC Front deputy spokesperson Frank Bwalya has accused Southern Province chiefs of sabotaging the government’s farming input distribution process.
At a media briefing in Lusaka today, December 27, 2016, Bwalya claimed the chiefs were ordering their subjects not to collect inputs.
“Unfortunately, we have verified information from Southern province indicating that some chiefs, headmen and women are telling peasant farmers not to collect and plant seed distributed by GRZ saying that the government was late in delivering the inputs. These traditional leaders are misleading unsuspecting farmers that it is too late to plant hence they shouldn’t collect inputs. Two chiefs and one headwoman have been quoted saying disparaging remarks against the leadership of President [Edgar] Lungu and accused him of knowing nothing about agriculture hence the relative delay in delivering farming inputs,” Bwalya said.
“Hungry people can pose a danger in society. Therefore we strongly believe that the traditional leaders who are discouraging peasant farmers in Southern Province from on grounds that it is late are not only compromising food security but endangering national security as well…we believe that what these traditional leaders are doing is unacceptable. It is a recipe for hunger and associated suffering.”
The PF official lamented that government could not afford to feed too many people in case of a food crisis in 2017.
“GRZ cannot afford to feed our people in the case of hunger. This is the rationale behind the Food Reserve Agency (FRA) buying crops such as rice and maize for strategic reserves…we all know that our government will be walking a tight rope in terms of raising money for huge competing needs in critical sectors therefore it is criminal to try to create problems for government by creating hunger in a province where political anger against the President and PF is rife,” Bwalya said.
He said the PF had launched an investigation to find out the real motive behind the actions of the leaders whom he said are clearly trying to create a national food crisis.
“We are investigating the real motive for the action of these traditional leaders who are clearly trying to create a crisis regarding food security. Given the reality that some leaders are notorious in praying for national tragedy believing that they can rise on the back of national misfortune to get into power, we are leaving no stone unturned in getting to the bottom of the motive of the culprits. We are going to update the public once our investigations are concluded,” said Bwalya.
About Stella Goma
Stella Goma has a passion for a democratic society and transparency in governance.
Email: stella [at] diggers [dot] news
- Sumaili explains her plan for Religious Ministry - 9 Apr 2017
- Mosho confirms auction sale of Post assets - 5 Apr 2017
- There’s too much animosity between PF and UPND – HRC - 4 Apr 2017
- HH says Lungu is a clueless hyena - 4 Apr 2017
- Matale defends LAZ - 1 Feb 2017
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India (1,656 view)
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (1,583 view)
- You'll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt (1,219 view)
- Mushimba wonders why accepted UNZA student don’t show up to enroll (1,122 view)
- If some UPND MPs want to support Bill 10, they must reflect, think about the people - Mwiimbu (939 views)
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India
- PF clueless on how to fix declining economy – Kabimba
- You’ll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt
- Mealie meal has become too expensive for ordinary Zambians – Msoni
- British envoy urges Chevening scholars to use their talent to develop Zambia after study
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend