- by Mukosha Funga on 22 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 22 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Continental Free Trade area won’t succeed without inter-regional trade – LunguBy Mirriam Chabala on 4 May 2017
President Edgar Lungu says the Continental Free Trade area, which African countries are advocating for, will not succeed without inter-regional trade.
Speaking at the World Economic Forum on Africa in Durban, South Africa this morning, President Lungu said African countries needed to first recognise the current economic status of each individual member state in order for the Continental Free Trade to yield good results.
“Let me begin by appreciating the efforts made so far with regard to economic integration in Africa, we are hopeful that efforts are being made to expedite further deepening of the economic integration for the common good of the continent,” President Lungu said.
“The Continental Free Trade Area, which we are aspiring for, is an initiative aimed at integrating African markets and the initiative requires what I may call a ‘well coordinated mechanism’ to ensure that regional outcomes compliment each other. Secondly, I think we hope to use this as a vehicle for collaborating effectively and regional tripartite and continental meetings and progress. The regional part is ourselves here in SADC and then the continent itself and COMESA. But, for the continental free trade area to be successful, I think we need to have inter-regional trade.”
President Lungu said there was need for united efforts from private sector experts in order for the integration of the Continental Free Trade to be successful.
“I think for us in Zambia, it’s about getting the technocrats in the private sector to sit them together and see how we can realise and get life to this vision because the vision is common but the integration is where we are getting it wrong because the level is in the details just like I said that some economies are strong while others are very weak and so on,” said President Lungu.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- ZICTA confiscates transmitter for a Choma community radio station - 19 Oct 2017
- ERB too quick at hiking prices, slow on reducing – CUTS - 18 Oct 2017
- National Day of Prayer has divided the nation – Kabimba - 18 Oct 2017
- Promise to stop stealing before inviting us for prayers, HH tells PF - 18 Oct 2017
- Mwila reserves party position on calls for Mulusa’s dismissal - 17 Oct 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend