- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018
- Goal Diggers
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Jan 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Jan 2018
- by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 18 Jan 2018
- Editor's Choice
- by Felix Kashweka on 13 Jan 2018by Diggers Admin on 11 Jan 2018by Tenson Mkhala on 6 Jan 2018by Felix Kashweka on 31 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 22 Jan 2018by Dr Charles Sinkala on 22 Jan 2018by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Jan 2018by Nachilala Nkombo on 20 Jan 2018
Kambwili unsettles PFBy Mukosha Funga on 30 May 2017
Patriotic Front National Youth Chairperson Stephen Kampyongo has reacted angrily to Chishimba Kambwili’s call for the party to elect a presidential candidate before the 2021 elections, contrary to secretary general Davies Mwila’s declaration that President Edgar Lungu will stand for the third time.
On Saturday, Mwila asked those with presidential ambitions to shelve them until 2026 because President Lungu was the sole candidate for the party but Kambwili told The Mast Newspaper that it was against the party constitution to prevent people from challenging President Lungu.
“There is no provision in the PF constitution to support what Davis Mwila said in Kasama about President Lungu being the candidate for the 2021 general elections. PF is a democratic party and will always follow the constitution and not an individual’s opinion. Those who don’t want elections when they’re due should join the UPND where there no elections. There are no shortcuts in PF,” said Kambwili.
“PF will always elect its president every five years at the general conference. I am not talking about any particular individual or president, all I am saying is that the PF constitution is very clear on the election of the party president and candidate. There is no provision in the constitution to support what Mwila, said period. President Lungu is a democrat and lawyer, he cannot allow shortcuts.”
But Kambwili’s remarks have unsettled Kampyongo, who is also Home Affairs Minister, who advised those with an “insatiable appetite for power to take a chill pill” in a statement issued by PF media director Sunday Chanda today.
“Those with an insatiable appetite for power should take a chill pill and ensure they are in good standing with the Party. We are not short-circuiting democracy when we assert that there is the unwritten rule that an incumbent should not be challenged, we are raising a position not just peculiar to Zambia but other advanced democracies such as the USA. Senior members of the Party understand established channels of communication but a handful have elected to play to the gallery as darlings of hostile media whose authenticity and credibility is difficult to prove. Let me warn them that the Party will not entertain the pain they got us through when they rallied behind Guy Scott. We want a disciplined party and the national youth wing of the PF shall do everything to protect the Party from political vultures and scavengers within and outside,” Kampyongo said.
He insisted that party structures had decided to rally behind President Lungu but urged people to contest the Central Committee seats.
“The Secretary General did not say that the General Conference will not be held. PF is the most democratic party in the Zambia to the extent that despite having a position on who the Presidential candidate was, other members in good standing with the Party can file in their applications if they so desire. Those with Presidential ambitions are welcome to throw in their applications at the General Conference in 2020 but the Party already has a Candidate in His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu. Those with an insatiable appetite for power should tame their hunger and anger. The General Conference will go ahead in 2020 as announced by the Secretary General and all Central Committee positions will be open to elections and those in good standing with the Party can apply to contest. However, as a mark of confidence, the Party structures have resolved to rally behind President Lungu as our candidate and I speak for PF Youth structures countrywide,” Kampyongo said.
He also recollected the fierce power struggle that rocked the party after Michael Sata’s demise.
“The Party has taken great lessons from the transition we went through after late President Michael Sata died in Office. We experienced the most painful period, politically as a Party. And as a learning political organization, we have taken great lessons in ensuring that the same vultures who sought our blood in 2014 do not do so in 2020 going into 2021,” said Kampyongo.
“On that premise, we’ll take President Lungu back to the people as our candidate because he would have proved himself as a faithful and loyal servant of the masses. Zambians want President Lungu to deliver and that is why the Party is rallying behind him. He is on course driving a robust development agenda and there is no substitution.”
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha Funga is a Zambian journalist interested in good governance and anti corruption reporting.
- Govt threatens to cancel CBU unions’ licenses for locking up VC - 23 Jan 2018
- Amnesty International seeks protection for Pilato - 23 Jan 2018
- PF cadres attack Kambwili’s supporters at Central Police - 23 Jan 2018
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges - 23 Jan 2018
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves - 22 Jan 2018
- Lungu's theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer - HH
- PF cadres attack Kambwili's supporters at Central Police
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves
- Antonio too young for politics of the belly
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «January 2018»
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend