- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
South Africa’s Finance Minister calls for end to hatred for othersBy Stuart Lisulo on 9 Sep 2019
South Africans’ hatred for other Africans must become a thing of the past, says its Finance Minister Tito Mboweni.
Speaking during the opening plenary of the 28th World Economic Forum (WEF) on Africa in Cape Town, South Africa, Mboweni expressed shock and dismay at the sporadic xenophobic attacks that were perpetuated by his fellow countrymen and women on other African nationals last week.
The latest wave of xenophobic attacks follows flaring up of hostilities between Black South Africans and foreign nationals, which had been occurring periodically since the barbaric 2008 attacks.
“We welcome all Africans who have come to this conference; we welcome all Africans who live in South Africa. We are all Africans. We need to tell our people that what they are doing is wrong! These artificial barriers we have created and the hatred among ourselves must really become a thing of the past,” Mboweni said in a news release issued by the WEF public engagement office following the just-ended Forum.
And responding to a question about the African Continental Free Trade Area (CFTA), Mboweni said if Africa wanted the free movement of goods, it also needed to ensure the free movement of people.
“If free movement is supposed to happen, one cannot be in a position where you allow this person and not the other,” he added.
Mboweni was standing in for South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, who at the time of the plenary, was at Parliament to address protesters demanding action from the South African government on violence against women.
And Elsie Kanza, Head of Africa at the WEF, said that addressing systemic violence against women was a top priority for the meeting, and she urged all leaders to act against the problem.
Meanwhile, speaking on the issue of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, WEF founder and executive chairman Klaus Schwab said the rapid pace of technology required renewed frameworks for cooperation to be developed to deliver an inclusive and sustainable future for Africa.
“Africa cannot afford to be left behind. The Fourth Industrial Revolution can solve many of the issues that came with the first, second and third industrial revolutions. It is a catalyst for Africa to leapfrog into the 21st century,” said Schwab.
The 2019 World Economic Forum on Africa took place September 4-6 in Cape Town, South Africa, under the theme Shaping Inclusive Growth and Shared Futures in the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
The meeting convened more than 1,000 regional and global leaders from government, business, civil society and academia.
About Stuart Lisulo
Stuart Lisulo is an experienced journalist with a focus on business news.
Email: stuart [at] diggers [dot] newsRelated Items
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (7,229 views)
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG (6,202 views)
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus (5,303 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (2,850 views)
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing (2,336 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Stop social media abuse – Kafwaya
- Disband Religion Ministry, Sumaili’s actions border on lawlessness
- Mobs kill four more, as police nab 14 for murder
- The real ritual killer is The Mob
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus
- Careless comments on gassing will breed chaos – ZCCB
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend