- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Mosquitoes rejoice whenever I’m arrested, they say “we’ll feast on the fat one tonight” – KambwiliBy Natasha Sakala and Zondiwe Mbewe on 9 Oct 2019
NDC leader Chishimba Kambwili says the only thing he worries about whenever he is arrested are mosquitoes.
And Kambwili says when it comes to persecuting opponents, the MMD was much better than the Patriotic Front.
Speaking when he featured on Diamond TV’s COSTA program, Monday evening, Kambwili said everyone could tell that all the cases he was facing before the courts of law were politically motivated.
He said, however, that he only worried about mosquitoes whenever he was locked up because he had a lot of “fat” for them to feast on.
“Imbili ni mbwili (a leopard is a leopard). Just that I don’t want to talk about individual cases in court but to tell you that it is very unusual, extremely unusual and I think anybody will agree with me that these are politically motivated cases. And I think the almighty God, who lives and reigns in heaven will fight for me. I have been treated very badly but I have accepted, mafuta nomba, nsubapo fye, nga ba njeba ati banjikata (it’s like oil, I just apply whenever they call for my arrest). The only thing I worry is the mosquitoes because when I go to prison, they say uyu naena uwaina aisa nafuti, twalila (this fat one has come again, we shall feast today),” Kambwili joked.
“I think I have accepted the situation and I think that this is typical of a government that is scared of its own shadow.”
And Kambwili said the PF had built a bad record when it came to persecution of opponents.
“I don’t think we had that record in three years of Michael Sata’s government. I don’t think we did. When we had (Levy) Mwanawasa, I don’t think we had that [kind of persecution]. So by far, the MMD is better than the PF. When you have some individuals who don’t deserve to hold certain important ministerial positions, who only knows ‘go and arrest him’ without even knowing the consequences of those arrests, that is the end result. But for me, I have accepted on behalf of the Zambians to suffer, mafuta uku njikata (arrest is like lotion to me), even now they can come and arrest me, I will go and sleep in cells,” Kambwili said.
Meanwhile, speaking to journalists at the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court, Monday, Kambwili said he had instructed NDC members to concentrate on party mobilisation because talking about corruption was tiring since there was lack of action.
“Just to tell this PF government, we have spoken enough about corruption, illegal dealings and not being serious with governance. Now we are getting tired. And I want to appeal to all our members to concentrate on party organisation and mobilisation because aba abantu twa esha ukulandu umu (we have tried talking) [but] they are not changing. The best we can do now, I think, is to stop following them individually or collectively and just concentrate on party mobilisation. Because if you argue with a fool, nobody will notice the difference,” Kambwili said.
Kambwili also said government had allowed street vending along Lumumba road because it wanted to hoodwink voters ahead of the 2021 elections.
“They removed you street vendors from the streets, today because it’s now getting towards elections, they say ‘Lumumba Road, you can trade as street vendors’. Bayamba ukumizembeleka (they start to woo you). This is what I tell you Zambians, be careful. Next thing they will say ‘no we have reduced mealie meal. They will just be doing it for the purpose of election nearing. We have so many road projects that have not been completed which has stalled because there is no money. Somebody lifts his plane into Mporokoso to lie to the people of Kaputa, Nsama that we have inaugurated the construction of Mporokoso to Kaputa road when so many road projects, schools and hospitals are not being done because there is money,” said Kambwili.
“I’m reminding Zambians, wake up. Dont be cheated. People of Mporokoso that road would never move an inch. They will bring equipment there and it will just be packed. Watch them.”
Meanwhile, the matter in which Kambwili is jointly charged with his son Mwamba, Mwamona Engineering and Technical Services and others, with 39 counts of being in possession of property suspected to be proceeds of crime and other charges, has been adjourned to November 15, this year for continued trial.
When the matter came up for continued trial before magistrate Mwaka Mikalile, Monday, the State informed the court it was not ready to proceed into trial because the two prosecutors handling the matter were indisposed.
About Natasha Sakala
Natasha Sakala draws inspiration from people who stand up for what is right. She is very versatile and likes to bring out issues as they are.
Email: natasha [at] diggers [dot] news
- It’s an offence for mines not to produce according to their mine plans – Musukwa - 18 Feb 2020
- Withdraw Bill 10, let church lead drafting process – CiSCA - 16 Feb 2020
- Support Bill 10 if you want to cut unnecessary by-elections – Wina - 13 Feb 2020
- PF govt only interested in plunder after plunder – HK - 13 Feb 2020
- Those exposed to Coronavirus should self-isolate – MoH - 13 Feb 2020
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- Kambwili has the right to criticize govt, ZNBC staffer tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- ConCourt throws out LAZ’s application to jail Tutwa for contempt - 21 Feb 2020
- Court orders release of IMS boss’ passport - 20 Feb 2020
- $1m claim in costs by Rephidim, 2 others is inflated, says Vedanta - 20 Feb 2020
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (14,943 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (13,431 views)
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption (8,564 views)
- Gassing can't be stopped in one day - State House (7,589 views)
- Top Chingola cops implicated in gassing incidences (6,833 views)
- Lungu wants Kambwili back in PF, claims GBM
- Wina is lying, Zambia suffering because of theft in govt, not because of by-elections - Sangwa
- Enjoy the sweet, but remember Guy Scott who sweated for it
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?”
- Gassing can't be stopped in one day - State House
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
- Bill 10 has polarized Zambia – Kabimba
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court
- Interest rates rise to 28%
- Lumezi MP backs Bill 10
- Southern Province in internet blackout
- Cooperatives must be used as viable businesses, Mungalaba tells entrepreneurs
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend