DMMU National Coordinator Gabriel Pollen says Zambia has continued to receive support from the international community, cooperating partners and the private sector and the unit is targeting to help 6.6 million people who are badly affected by the drought.
Giving an update on the response the unit had received so far, Wednesday, Dr Pollen said citizens would start seeing a lot of work in terms of deliveries in response to drought.
“There is more money coming from cooperating partners. Individual countries are coming through, there are some commitments that have been made and also, for the private sector as well, Stanbic Bank today for example, we are receiving some money. We are doing good, we are doing the best that we can, already on its own rolled out its relief distribution. Just yesterday, the Minister of Lusaka Province was launching deliveries. You will see a lot of work going on especially starting from now in regards to the response of the drought. We are targeting the affected, basically the 6.6 million Zambians that we are targeting for these deliveries,” he said.
When asked if he could give an estimate of what DMMU had received so far, Dr Pollen said only the Ministry of Finance could do that.
“Funds are coming in now, the Ministry of Finance in terms of funds are the ones who [can address that]. I can tell you what we are doing in terms of response but anything to do with money, it’s the Ministry of Finance,” said Dr Pollen.