by Abraham Kalito on 22 Mar 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Mar 2018by Mukosha Funga on 22 Mar 2018by Nancy Moonga on 22 Mar 2018
- Goal Diggers
by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Mar 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Mar 2018by Nancy Moonga on 21 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Mar 2018
by Daniel Chansa on 22 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Mar 2018by Diggers Reporter on 7 Mar 2018
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Editor on 22 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 21 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 19 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 17 Mar 2018
by Felix Kashweka on 10 Mar 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 2 Mar 2018by Felix Kashweka on 24 Feb 2018by Felix Kashweka on 24 Feb 2018
- Guest Diggers
Corrections officer admits items seized from UPND cadres were not offensive weaponsBy Diggers Reporter on 27 Jul 2017
A correctional officer has told the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that the items he found in car belonging to UPND cadres are not offensive weapons.
In this case Remmy Mukoba and three others are facing two charges of being in possession of offensive weapons.
It is alleged that the accused persons had in their car one plastic bottle of glycerine, two plastic bottles of potassium permanganette, one bow and three arrows outside the Lusaka Central Prison where they had parked.
But a correctional officer, Matongo Mwendabai, who was manning the main camp gate of the prison admitted in cross examination led by defense lawyer Gilbert Phiri yesterday that the items were not offensive weapons.
Mwendabai said it was not unlawful to own a bow and arrow.
Initially, Mwendabai told the court that the items were offensive but failed to explain his claim saying he was not a chemist.
When probed further, Mwendabai also admitted that the accused’ vehicle had a broken rear window at the scene despite not stating so in his examination in chief.
Phiri also wondered why some of the items he mentioned such as a plastic container with very little petrol content, three sacks and three rows of khaki paper were not on the charge sheet but Mwendabai told magistrate Sylvia Munyinya that the other materials were equally relevant to the case.
Mwendabai also said it was not an offense to hoot near a prison or to park around that area.
He however claimed that the behaviour of the accused made him suspicious as they attempted to flee the scene after he challenged them.
About Diggers Reporter
- Printing ballots locally is about sovereignty, national security – PF - 22 Mar 2018
- HH is a contraceptive for unity, dialogue – Nakacinda - 22 Mar 2018
- Kafue residents rise as govt turns ‘3 million’ hectares of land to commercial - 21 Mar 2018
- It’s unfair to mislead Zambians that all is well – Mweetwa - 19 Mar 2018
- Chasaya elected African Public Services Commission president - 16 Mar 2018
- Police arrest Kambwili, slap him with 37 counts of having money suspected to be proceeds of crime
- Police release Kambwili, order him to report at Woodlands station tomorrow
- Judge Musona finally views 'missing' Munali violence video
- Kalaba distances himself from extravagant spending on Lungu's trips
- Our ethics demand that we respect Mr Chanda’s reaction
- HPCZ drags Lafarge to court for operating illegal clinic, dispensing expired drugs
- Speaker orders Kambwili to apologise for ‘maligning’ Kampyongo, Grandview
- Investigative journalism key to development – Foote
- Increase tax on beer instead of making people pay borehole tax – Mwashingwele
- UZi will enhance competition, lower cost of mobile services – CCPC
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend