- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
I have no proof Kambwili forged his son’s signature – TayaliBy Diggers Reporter on 7 Mar 2018
Former Zambian Voice executive director Chilufya Tayali says he is not competent to prove all the allegations levelled against Roan PF member of parliament Chishimba Kambwili.
And the state has slapped Kambwili with another charge of giving false information to a public officer.
This is in a matter in which Kambwili is facing a charge of forgery, uttering false documents and giving false information to a public officer.
When the matter came up before Lusaka principal resident magistrate David Simusamba, the state applied to amend the indictment in order to add an additional charge of giving false information to a public officer.
Kambwili then took fresh plea, denying all the charges.
The state called it’s key witness Tayali to take the stand and he told the court that he was persuaded to start investigating the ownership of the company after his informers told him that Kambwili was harassing Mopani Copper Mines for giving contracts to other people.
“I was told that as a minister, he was putting pressure on their work and asking them why they were giving contracts to other Zambians…I thought of doing a search to verify if Kambwili owned such a company. I went to PACRA to verify the details of this company. What I found is that Mwamona did exist as a limited company and the directors were Mwamba Chishimba and Carol Chishimba but Kambwili was not part of Mwamona,” Tayali testified.
He said after he conducted a search at PACRA, he become suspicious after finding out that Mwamba Chishimba, who was said to be the son to the accused was one of the directors when in fact, Mwamba Kambwili was the real son.
He said Kambwili’s wife Carol was the second director.
He also testified that Kambwili’s son was too young to have an NRC at a time and Mwamona was being incoporated in 2001 as he could have been only eight years old, a move which further brough more suspicion.
“Mwamba Kambwili was born in 1993 therefore, in 2001 when the company was being incorporated, this boy was maybe eight years old. From my knowledge, an eight year old cannot have an NRC. At this point, I suspected there could be a prima facie case in the manner Mwamona was registered,” he said.
He said despite approaching Special Assistant to the President for Press and Public Relations Amos Chanda to inform the President about the alleged scandal nothing happened.
“I made efforts to bring this to the attention of the President through his press aide. I told him what happened and what I discovered. Amos did assure me that he will make sure the President knows. I kept on talking about it as my assumption was that the President would take action but nothing was done to my knowledge. I was disappointed because as executive director, my work was to offer checks and balances,” he said.
Tayali said he shelved the matter until Kambwili was fired when he reported the case to the police.
“I stand for justice. This is why I founded a Zambian NGO called the Zambian Voice and your honor, I hate corruption,” said Tayali.
In cross examination, when asked which papers Kambwili allegedly forged, Tayali said he was not competent to bring the document to court.
“I may not be competent to bring the document to court. I don’t have them but I believe they will be adduced…Kambwili is not the director or shareholder of the company,” he said.
Asked what the specifics of Kambwili’s criminal wrongs were, Tayali said he was not competent to say them.
Asked if he had proof, Tayali said, “It will be brought. I don’t have proof as a complainant but it doesn’t mean it is not there.”
Tayali also failed to cite any law which barred minors from appearing on PACRA forms.
Tayali admitted that he did not know the officer alleged to have been given false information by Kambwili.
The case was adjourned to March 15, 2018 for continued cross examination.
In this matter, Kambwili is alleged to have forged a no change return form with intent to deceive PACRA by purporting to show that it was genuinely issued by Mwamba when in fact not.
In the second count, he is alleged to have fraudulently uttered the said document to PACRA.
And in the third count, Kambwili is accused to giving the false document to a registrar at PACRA which caused the said public officer to do something which he ought not to have done.
After the matter was adjourned, Kambwili reiterated that he would not bow down to political intimidation whilst Tayali said he was happy that the matter was finally in court.
About Diggers Reporter
The Diggers Reporter brings you all the latest news.
- Castle Lager postpones 2020 Africa 5s due to COVID-19 - 27 Mar 2020
- Police nab ‘Spax’ for murder - 2 Mar 2020
- Mazabuka mob drags suspect out of hospital, kills him - 20 Feb 2020
- Cops sustain injuries in N/West riots - 1 Feb 2020
- Vedanta warns Milingo against defying court order, selling mine assets - 29 Jan 2020
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu (27,506 views)
- Kampyongo, Malanji, Lombe in quarantine after suspected exposure to COVID-19 (8,837 views)
- Kwamana for Lungu now, he has to go - KBF (8,694 views)
- Lungu's Cabinet leadership on COVID-19 scary (4,936 views)
- Name govt officials who are infected, in quarantine (4,824 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- About 10 Cancer Diseases Hospital doctors in quarantine
- Kwacha nears 19 per dollar
- I’ll test for COVID-19 on Friday, says Kampyongo
- Zambia records first COVID-19 death, community infections on the rise
- Pharmaceutical Society condemns Lusambo for harassing pharmacies
- About 10 Cancer Diseases Hospital doctors in quarantine
- Govt forecasts stability in mining sector amidst COVID-19 pandemic
- Come and get talk time to continue criticizing me, I won’t stop whipping people – Bowman
- Govt doesn’t yet need Parliament approval to contract debt – Solicitor General
- We’ll put KCM on care and maintenance if need be – Milingo
- Court puts 4 Linda rioters on their defense
- Zesco’s demands to adjust BSA would’ve been injurious to our business – CEC
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend