by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
Court fines Lusaka man K500 for battering wifeBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 30 Aug 2018
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has slapped a 41-year-old man of Lusaka’s 10 Miles area with a K500 fine for wife beating.
Brighton Mweemba, a mechanical engineer, has also been ordered to compensate his ex-wife K1,000 and in default, six months simple imprisonment.
Mweemba was charged with one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Particulars of the offence are that on March 18, last year, Mweemba did assault Inonge Muzungu, thereby occasioning her actual bodily harm.
Inonge, the complainant and also the accused’s ex-wife, had testified that on the material day her husband sent her to take eggs for hatching at her sister’s place in Kabulonga.
She said on her way back, she called the accused because she wanted the codes for the GoTV for her to pay, but his phones were off.
Inonge said she then called the accused’s cousin who was at home and he gave her the code.
She testified that on her way, the accused called her and asked where she was and when she told him that she was around SOS, the accused asked her to pick him at G3 along Great North road and she picked him.
Inonge had further testified that the moment the accused got in the vehicle, he started shouting at her and asked why she had called his cousin and not him.
“In the vehicle, I was with our three children. The moment Mweemba got in the vehicle, he started shouting at me and asked as to why I had called his cousin and not him. All the way, he was shouting and scolding at me,” she had testified.
Inonge said that when they reached home, the accused started beating her and was only rescued by people who were around.
She said she had sustained a swollen cheek and general body pains.
“When we reached the house, the children dropped and went in the house. Mweemba started beating me while I was down. I shouted for help and was rescued by people around. I bled from the nose. I went into the car and drove to the police where I reported and was issued with a medical report form. And also went to the clinic where I was attended to. I sustained a swollen cheek and general body pains,” Inonge said.
And when the matter came up for judgement before Magistrate Alice Walusiku, Tuesday, Mweemba, through his lawyer, begged for maximum leniency in mitigation.
He said he had used the time he was in custody to reflect on his actions and he regretted what he did to the complainant.
“We submit that the convict is the first time offender who deserves mercy from this court. The convict has been in custody from the time he was convicted and has used this time to reflect on his actions. He regrets what he did to the complainant. We beg that the court considers a fine and for maximum leniency,” said Mweemba through his lawyer.
And passing judgement, Magistrate Walusiku said she had taken into consideration what the accused said in his mitigation, but noted that what he did was regrettable.
She said if one was provoked by the spouse, it was better to pull back than resorting to assault.
She fined the accused K500, to be given to the State.
Magistrate Walusiku further fined him K1,000 as compensation to the complainant and in default, six months simple imprisonment.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- 7 Lumwana expatriates were lawfully fired, company tells court - 20 Sep 2019
- LAZ asks ConCourt to throw out Musoma’s suit over Bill 10 - 20 Sep 2019
- Tutwa reports Sangwa to LAZ for “professional misconduct” - 19 Sep 2019
- ConCourt sets Sept 27 for ruling on preliminary issues in LAZ Bill 10 case - 19 Sep 2019
- 120 people sue UPPZ leader for fraud over land - 18 Sep 2019
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service (3,707 views)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (1,158 view)
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (906 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock (806 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (581 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend