by Julia Malunga on 25 Jan 2020by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 25 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Jan 2020by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2020
by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Jan 2020by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Jan 2020by Natasha Sakala on 20 Jan 2020by Stuart Lisulo on 20 Jan 2020
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2020by Daniel Chansa on 23 Jan 2020
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 22 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 14 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 13 Jan 2020
by Diggers Editor on 25 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 23 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 22 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 21 Jan 2020
- Guest Diggers
by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Jan 2020by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 14 Jan 2020by Julius Kapembwa, PhD on 7 Jan 2020by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jan 2020
- Editor's Choice
by Sikonathi Mantshantsha on 11 Jan 2020by Amber Phillips on 19 Dec 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 17 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 17 Jan 2020by Zindikilani Banda in Sinda on 9 Jan 2020by Felix Kashweka on 17 Dec 2019
Bus driver sues Kaizer claiming K2m compensation for assaultBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 4 Dec 2019
A bus driver of Lusaka’s Mtendere Township has dragged Special Assistant to the President for Political Affairs Kaizer Zulu to the High Court, demanding over K2 million as compensation for pain after the latter allegedly beat him up.
Joe Tembo who is seeking special damages of K554,000 and K2,500,000 compensation for pain, among other claims, stated that Zulu brutally kicked him on the jaw and head and that when he fell down, the political kicked him on the head until blood started coming out of his mouth and noise.
In a statement of claim filed filed in the Lusaka High Court yesterday, Tembo explained that on November 19 this year, around 07:00 hours, he was driving a Toyota Hiace bus and was picking up school going children in Ibex Hill.
He added that around 07:00 hours, he had picked up about eight pupils from ZAF Twin Palm and was going to pick up the last pupil when a Toyota Land Cruiser hit the bus and slid into the drainage along Twin Palm road.
“The plaintiff shall aver and prove at trial that on his way to second street Ibex Hill, he was about to turn into Avic Road and did indicate to motorists who were following him that he was about to turn and waited for an oncoming vehicle to pass. When the oncoming vehicle drove past the plaintiff’s bus, the plaintiff started turning into Avic Road and whilst turning, he heard a loud bang in the bus he was driving. He saw a Toyota Land Cruiser which hit the bus slide into the drainage along Twin Palm road,” read the statement of claim.
Tembo stated that he checked if any pupil was injured and upon being satisfied that no one was injured, he went to check on the driver of the Land Cruiser.
He stated that he saw Zulu who was seated on the driver’s seat and while on a phone call, signaled to him that he was okay.
Tembo claimed that 20 minutes after Zulu caused the accident, two motor vehicles full of huge men arrived at the accident scene and at that point, Zulu came out of his vehicle.
He stated that Zulu asked the onlookers at the scene who the driver of the bus was and when he (Tembo) identified himself, Zulu brandished a gun, pointed it at him.
Tembo further stated that at the instruction of Zulu, the men who had arrived at the scene ruffed him up and beat him until he became weak and partially unconscious, but could hear what was being said.
“The beating was so severe such that he (Tembo) could not even manage to scream and all on lookers were threatened of being shot at if they tried to come to his rescue. Zulu ordered the men who were beating Tembo to make him stand by holding his hands and head,” read the statement of claim.
He stated that when he was made to stand, Zulu brutally kicked him on the jaw and head.
Tembo added that when he was hit by Zulu, he fell again, adding that Zulu again kicked him on the head and blood started coming out of his mouth and nose.
He stated that when he opened his eyes, he found himself in Levy Mwanawasa Hospital being attended to by medical doctors.
Tembo stated that he could neither open his mouth nor talk and was advised to keep quiet as he had sustained a broken jaw and had cuts on his head.
He stated that he would aver at trial that he was referred to UTH for specialised medical treatment and had been attending hospital from the day of being inhumanly beaten by Zulu and his people, to date.
Tembo stated that he had continued to suffer severe body pains, uncontrolled headaches, had been traumatized and lived in fear as a result of Zulu’s inhuman treatment, torture and unlawful beating.
He is now claiming damages for torture, mental anguish and embarrassment, assault and battery.
Tembo further wants interest on all sums, costs and any other reliefs that the court may deem fit.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Maureen sues Bonanza, Wellcash Debt Recovery over botched loan agreement - 24 Jan 2020
- Court grants Kapepa injunction to restrain senior chief Nsefu from dethroning him as chief Kakumbi - 24 Jan 2020
- ZCCM-IH sues Maamba Collieries over $10m loan advance - 23 Jan 2020
- Lusaka man gets two years for stealing dad’s phones - 23 Jan 2020
- Higer sues Shalom Bus Services for $235,000 debt - 22 Jan 2020
- Ndola woman who forced 3 boys to touch her private parts gets 15 years (5,961 views)
- Challenge me, but if you rock the boat, we’ll throw you out - Lungu (4,678 views)
- Maureen sues Bonanza, Wellcash Debt Recovery over botched loan agreement (2,815 views)
- Sinda residents stole from me instead of helping after my accident, laments Mkaika MP (1,703 view)
- How drug trafficking, wildlife smuggling destroys communities (1,643 view)
- Corruption getting worse in Zambia, we can no longer pretend – TIZ
- Porn addicts fail to function in marriages, says Sumaili
- We mean well with our public discussion forums
- We’re watching ECZ, we won’t wait till they cause chaos in 2021 to take them on – HH
- Chilubanama has to explain disrespect for Lungu – Moonga
- Don't sit ndwii while they tell lies about Bill 10, Lungu tells govt and PF officials
- Challenge me, but if you rock the boat, we’ll throw you out - Lungu
- Who is Linda, Sangwa? We can't withdraw Bill 10 because they say so - Lubinda
- Sinda residents stole from me instead of helping after my accident, laments Mkaika MP
- Chilubanama has to explain disrespect for Lungu - Moonga
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend