- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 14 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 12 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
UPND demands public apology from SpeakerBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jun 2017
UPND Parliamentary Chief Whip Garry Nkombo says Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini must render a public and written apology to Namwala Member of Parliament Moono Lubezhi for wrongly including her on the list of those he suspended for 30 days.
On June 13, 2017, Speaker Matibini suspended 48 opposition UPND MPs for shunning President Edgar Lungu’s address to Parliament. But yesterday, the Speaker lifted the suspension of Lubezhi, saying the member of parliament was erroneously included on the list of absent MPs when she had sort permission from the House.
He added that it was inadvertent and regrettable that the Namwala lawmaker was suspended from the House and asked the Clerk to correct the record.
“Honourable members, I would love to confirm from the offset that the Honourable member for Namwala was expressly granted authority to be absent from the House on 16th and 17th March, 2017 by the Honorable Chief Whip to enable her attend a Court session. Therefore her inclusion on the list of the 48 UPND suspended Members of Parliament was both inadvertent and regrettable. Honorable members, you may however wish to note that while the ruling contained an accidental omission, the ruling can and should be corrected and it is in view of this fact that I here by amend my ruling of 13th June 2017 to reflect the fact that the Honourable Member for Namwala Constituency was absent with permission on 17th March 2017. I further direct the Clerk to ensure that the records are amended accordingly and remedial measures taken immediately,” said Dr Matibini.
In an interview with News Diggers! Nkombo who is also UPND Mazabuka Member of Parliament said the speaker should publicly apologise for including Lubezhi on the ‘walk of shame.’
“In fact it was not the Speaker’s decision to lift that suspension, if it was not for Honourable Ephraim Belemu who rose on a point of order to challenge the Speaker, Hon Lubezhi would still be serving that suspension. You see why we are saying that the Speaker applied emotions when making that ruling?” Nkombo asked.
“The Speaker really needs to make an apology to Hon Lubezhi, he should make a written apology and a public apology because in that ‘door of shame’ they said, Honourable Lubezhi was included. So the speaker should amend his mistake publicly.”
Nkombo however said the party would leave Lubezhi to decide when she would want to return to the House.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- New US Envoy pledges support towards electoral reforms - 15 Dec 2017
- I respect Lungu but I will insult him if he wants me to – Musenge - 14 Dec 2017
- PF cadres attack NDC officials at 5fm - 14 Dec 2017
- ZAM disapproves Pilato’s Koswe Mumpoto song - 13 Dec 2017
- COBUSU members have been suspended for causing riots – Luo - 13 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend