- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Thomas Mulenga on 19 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
UPND demands public apology from SpeakerBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jun 2017
UPND Parliamentary Chief Whip Garry Nkombo says Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini must render a public and written apology to Namwala Member of Parliament Moono Lubezhi for wrongly including her on the list of those he suspended for 30 days.
On June 13, 2017, Speaker Matibini suspended 48 opposition UPND MPs for shunning President Edgar Lungu’s address to Parliament. But yesterday, the Speaker lifted the suspension of Lubezhi, saying the member of parliament was erroneously included on the list of absent MPs when she had sort permission from the House.
He added that it was inadvertent and regrettable that the Namwala lawmaker was suspended from the House and asked the Clerk to correct the record.
“Honourable members, I would love to confirm from the offset that the Honourable member for Namwala was expressly granted authority to be absent from the House on 16th and 17th March, 2017 by the Honorable Chief Whip to enable her attend a Court session. Therefore her inclusion on the list of the 48 UPND suspended Members of Parliament was both inadvertent and regrettable. Honorable members, you may however wish to note that while the ruling contained an accidental omission, the ruling can and should be corrected and it is in view of this fact that I here by amend my ruling of 13th June 2017 to reflect the fact that the Honourable Member for Namwala Constituency was absent with permission on 17th March 2017. I further direct the Clerk to ensure that the records are amended accordingly and remedial measures taken immediately,” said Dr Matibini.
In an interview with News Diggers! Nkombo who is also UPND Mazabuka Member of Parliament said the speaker should publicly apologise for including Lubezhi on the ‘walk of shame.’
“In fact it was not the Speaker’s decision to lift that suspension, if it was not for Honourable Ephraim Belemu who rose on a point of order to challenge the Speaker, Hon Lubezhi would still be serving that suspension. You see why we are saying that the Speaker applied emotions when making that ruling?” Nkombo asked.
“The Speaker really needs to make an apology to Hon Lubezhi, he should make a written apology and a public apology because in that ‘door of shame’ they said, Honourable Lubezhi was included. So the speaker should amend his mistake publicly.”
Nkombo however said the party would leave Lubezhi to decide when she would want to return to the House.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Chief Kaindu too drunk to reason – Jean Kapata - 19 Aug 2017
- WHO, UNAIDS support mandatory HIV testing - 18 Aug 2017
- Cattle disease breaks out in Sinazongwe - 17 Aug 2017
- PF donates K60,000 towards rebuilding City Market - 17 Aug 2017
- HH’s release not a result of international pressure – Kampamba - 17 Aug 2017
You may also like...
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend