by Diggers Reporter on 15 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
UPND demands formal invitation for HH to attend prayer dayBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
UPND spokesperson Charles Kakoma says high profile people like Hakainde Hichilema and his vice Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba will not attend the National Day of Prayer without a formal invitation.
But Minister of National Guidance and Religious Affairs Reverend Godfridah Sumaili has apologised for late delivery of invitation cards, promising to deliver an invitation to the UPND.
In an interview, Kakoma said the party had not received any formal invitation to the event which was two days away.
“It is not a condition as such, I mean to go to an event you must be invited. And you know that events that are government organized are very difficult to be attended to by members of the opposition especially high profile people like Hakainde Hichilema or GBM. You just don’t pop-up at some event, otherwise you can cause some disruption or confusion,” Kakoma said
“And we have taken note that in the past, the PF and its government have said that UPND are not welcome to attend their prayers because they will be contaminating their prayers. They said that in fact at the first prayer that they organized, that’s what they said. And we also noted in the past that they issued statements that even when they are going to pray for reconciliation, they don’t intend to reconcile with the UPND but any other small party.”
Kakoma said he wanted to make sure that a seat was reserved for his president.
“So given that background, we need to be formally invited, it is not a condition, otherwise people might start blaming to say why did you go there without an invitation. You and me as ordinary people can go, they don’t mind but high profile faces must be invited. They have gone to some places even traditional ceremonies they can’t even reserve a seat for HH. You can imagine such a scenario. So I think we are just being cautious that these things must be done properly. They started this thing some time back, they called for 40 days of prayer and fasting, and they foresaw this event coming, and today, two three days before the event we have not received the formal invitation, what do we do?” asked Kakoma.
But Rev Sumaili said the UPND would soon get an invitation card.
“We encourage everybody to attend because it is a time of blessings. We are one Zambia one nation and we have taken steps to ensure that the invitation cards are delivered. It is only that we delayed in bringing out these cards but they are there and we are going to formally invite them,” said Rev Sumaili in a separate interview.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Zambia’s power deficit reaches 700MW, reveals energy minister - 15 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it – Lungu - 14 Sep 2019
- Allow us to donate relief food where there’s need than giving DMMU – UPND - 13 Sep 2019
- Govt must stop appointing cadres on boards of oversight institutions – TIZ - 13 Sep 2019
- Farmers are praising Lungu, PF for a good maize price – Siliya - 13 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it - Lungu (2,594 views)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (2,559 views)
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them (1,433 view)
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi (1,260 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,170 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend