- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Mulongoti can call me for fuel any day, I haven’t forgotten him – MalanjiBy Mirriam Chabala on 21 Jun 2018
Foreign Affairs Minister Joseph Malanji says he has not forsaken People’s Party president Mike Mulongoti and he has invited the former information minister to reach out whenever he needs help.
Malanji, however, says he will not allow Mulongoti to continue politicking about President Edgar Lungu’s identity because he knows very well that the Head of State is a Zambian who grew up on the Copperbelt.
On Sunday, Malanji hosted a public rally in Kitwe where several government and PF officials mocked the opposition saying they were time wasters.
But in an interview, Mulongoti lamented that Malanji had neglected him just because he was now a minister.
“Malanji is saying that people are happy, the President is fulfilling his promises and people are happy and whatever. Who says that people are happy with the PF? I have seen your paper today (Monday) and I have read what those ministers said but Malanji did say something about happiness of the people…What I want to maintain is that Malanji shouldn’t forget his friends. I insist, we were so close with that man, so close. we went to play golf together in Egypt we were so close so the fact that he’s in that office no does not mean he must burn bridges, it doesn’t help you, it doesn’t help at all,” said Mulongoti.
Reacting to Mulongoti’s lamentations, Malanji said Mulongoti was still a good friend and invited him to reach out for fuel any day.
“Look, Mr Mulongoti used to be my friend and he is still my friend. When did the friendship I have with him end? Differing in idealogies does not break friendships. Mulongoti is still my friend, so I don’t see where the friendship has ended. Mulongoti is the one who has abandoned the President because he knows very well that the President is Zambian. President Edgar Lungu grew up in Kitwe and it is to his best knowledge. Honourable Mulongoti is still my friend but even if he’s my friend I cannot just allow it even if he says something which is not right, I just say ‘yes yes’ because he’s my friend, no,” Malanji said.
“He is still friend and if he wants some fuel even today he can phone me because he’s my friend. And I know very soon he’s going to change and say the truth because he knows that President Lungu is Zambian. Everybody in Kitwe know him from childhood. So [what Mulongoti is doing] is basically politicking but he knows very well that President Lungu is a Zambian. I have not distanced myself from Mr Mulongoti, my relationship with him remains the same as I have known it long so ever. And him, anytime if he feels he still has some golf skills, then he can request for a game with me and everything will be taken care of by me.”
Meanwhile, Malanji said it was not right for Mulongoti to accuse him of changing just because of his ministerial salary because that was irrelevant.
“I am sure honourable Mulongoti is someone who knows very well that I am above somebody who is in politics for a pay. Mr Mulongoti knows my background and my potential very well so he cannot say ‘ I am there for a pay’ he knows very well that what I give out to the community is more than my pay. Right now, next week I am commissioning a school worth K695,000. How many salaries are there when you look at a government salary? So Mr Mulongoti knows me very well and he cannot even look at me as somebody who is in government leadership for a pay. We are here for a service and not necessarily the pay, the pay that we get is not something which you can say ‘I am going for work because I have got to earn a living’. I am in politics beyond earning a living,” said Malanji.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,461 view)
- Nondo's defection shocks NAREP (1,055 view)
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (922 views)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (892 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (790 views)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend