- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Chola’s mysterious death sends fears to Albinism FoundationBy Geofrey Zulu on 18 Jan 2019
Police in Central Province have picked up a body of a 42-year-old UTH employee who was living with albinism, at MA 22 Lodge in Kapiri- Mposhi district.
And Albinism Foundation of Zambia (AFZ) Director, John Chiti has expressed sadness at the mysterious death of his organisation’s member, saying his death has injected fresh fears among people living with albinism across the country, as they are targeted for ritual purposes.
In an interview, Central Province Police Commissioner, Chola Katanga confirmed that his office received a report of sudden and unnatural death of a person identified as Lewis Chola from MA 22 Lodge Manager, Morris Chewe to the effect that one of the guests, who booked a room on the 10th January, 2019 around 19 hours and the following day was found dead at 21 hours.
“The police visited the scene and found the body lying, the body of a male Albino person age 42, lying on the bed facing upwards. The body was inspected and no physical injuries were seen. When the room was inspected, some documents were found which included an ID [Card] of the same [dead body] as Lewis Kenny Chola, telephone operator, Ministry of Health, Cancer disease hospital at UTH, the body was then deposited into the mortuary.” Katanga explained.
He further explained that postmortem was done on Monday and it was found that Chola died from suffocation.
“Preliminary finding are that he dead from acute respiratory failure due to suffocation” said Katanga.
And AFZ Director, John Chiti said Chola’s death was suspicious.
“He used to work at Cancer department at UTH; he went missing a few days ago and was found died at a lodge in Kapiri. We [AFZ] wanted to know if it was a ritual attack but body was intact. It is a sad development that our members are living in fear because they are targeted for ritual purposes,” Chiti said.
He lamented that people living with albinism were losing their freedom of movements.
“We are not enjoying human rights; some of our colleagues cannot go to school freely. People think by using albino body parts in rituals you can get rich. However, we are starting community sensitisation programs to raise awareness on albinism countrywide, starting this weekend,” said Chiti who is a revered singer in Zambia.Related Items
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,600 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,569 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,348 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,662 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,334 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend