- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
UPND not in a hurry to fill Veep position – KatukaBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Jul 2019
UPND secretary general Stephen Katuka says the party will in the next few months be going for a general conference to elect new party leaders.
And Katuka says the party cannot appoint a new vice-president now because it is not long before the next conference.
In an interview, Katuka said the UPND was not in a hurry to fill the two vice-president positions since the resignation of Dr Canisius Banda and Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba who were vice-president for politics and administration respectively.
“These are internal matters of the party. Can we query why Lungu has dropped Mumbi Phiri from her nomination? We can’t query because those are internal matters of the party. They are free to decide and how to run their party. We do not run our party together with the PF. So, we don’t even get advice from them just like we don’t give them advice on how to run their party. We are a political party that is independent and we make our own decisions and we know how to run our own party. We have a structure that manages the party. We are not a ‘kangaroo’ party that from the street anybody can just say: ‘why don’t you put a vice president?’ We will decide to fill the position when the right time comes. We are not in a hurry like they (PF) are in a hurry to bring deputy ministers,” Katuka said.
And Katuka said there was no need to fill the vacant positions now because the party would in the next few months would hold a general conference.
“So, we are not filling the vacuum for now, and we don’t need to fill it for now, until we are ready to fill that. Apart from that, you know that we going to the general conference, which is a convention so why should we fill the position now and that person goes to the convention and he is voted out? It doesn’t make sense! We have plans that we are already working on, to go for the general conference. At the general conference, all these positions will be frozen. They will be vacant and up for grabs, including that of the president. So, even if we put a vice president now, by the time we are going to the convention, that position will be vacant,” said Katuka.
“So, how can we put him for a month or two months or three months and then we say: ‘now the position is vacant, you have to go and re-contest.’ If we fill the vacancy now, then we will appoint; but if we fill it at the general conference, then it will be elective. [We will be holding one] anytime from now, but we have not fixed the date yet, but we already working on that.”
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- K1,500 surcharge for CBU students a fundraising venture – Kabwita - 12 Aug 2019
- PF has opened overnight street vending along Lusaka’s Lumumba Rd – Moonga - 12 Aug 2019
- Oasis Forum calls for withdrawal of Constitution bill - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs about US $660bn annually to achieve SDGs – UNCA - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs home-grown solutions for its challenges – Lungu - 8 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,899 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,295 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,016 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (931 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (794 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend