- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Kalaba trying to play clean football with a brutal rugby sideBy Diggers Editor on 8 Feb 2019
Immediately after the Patriotic Front expelled him from the ruling party, Mr Harry Kalaba graciously lifted his bags, which were already packed, and left. This man had been wanting to leave the PF for some time because he fell out of love with the party a long time ago. He now regards it as the evil that Zambians must fight to eliminate, if their livelihoods have to improve.
We are not putting words in Mr Kalaba’s mouth; this is what he said when he resigned from his position as Foreign Affairs Minister a year ago. He repeated his sentiments about his disgust for the corruption in PF when he made the move to relinquish his parliamentary position, even before the Speaker declares the Bahati constituency seat vacant.
It is clear that the PF has chased someone who was actually desperate to go. In Bemba we would say, ba PF batana uwikwite (meaning they are denying food to a person who is already satisfied, if not constipated). It appears Mr Kalaba was long gone, but he just didn’t want to resign much earlier to avoid being blamed for causing a costly by-election.
So, unlike Honourable Kambwili, who is still holding on and fighting his expulsion from the party, Mr Kalaba has completely terminated his links with the PF so that he can engage in a clean fight for the Presidency without any complications. He feels associating himself with a party that he regards as corrupt and responsible for people’s sufferings, doesn’t make a good argument point for him.
Many people have applauded this stance, saying he has demonstrated maturity and political courage. Indeed, we, too, think that Mr Kalaba has good intentions for the politics of this country. But what we must not forget is that, in Zambia, especially under the Patriotic Front, good intentions are welcome, but they are not rewarded.
Mr Kalaba is throwing good intentions at evil people. He is trying to play a clean, good game of football with an aggressive rugby side; he is a boxer in a wrestling ring where his opponent is also the referee and defending champion. It may not end well. They will leave him bruised! We can only hope that he is prepared for the brutal game ahead and he is strong enough to withstand the frustration.
With his PF membership relinquished and his parliamentary seat gone, Mr Kalaba has technically put his face in front of a rocket launcher called the Public Order Act. He is in direct firing range, and they will not allow him to mobilise the party in his former constituency. He has no basis for campaigning in Bahati, or anywhere in the country because he is not an MP, and his Democratic Party is under clamp down, it can’t file candidates in by-elections yet until it’s deregistration case is disposed from court. That is a consequence of being good to evil people. There is nothing you can do to please them; the more you bend to show good intentions, the more they abuse you.
These people in PF dared Mr Kalaba to resign from PF and prove his popularity by challenging President Edgar Lungu without clinging to the ruling party. The challenger has done just that, but they are now blocking the train that he has boarded into 2021. To the PF, Kambwili, who refused to let go of his parliamentary seat is a coward because he is afraid of standing alone. But Kalaba is also a bad man for deciding to stand alone and challenge President Lungu. What is it that the PF wants? Why are they blocking the Democratic Party from conducting its activities if, indeed, Mr Kalaba is a nonentity?
In our view, the PF is scared of Honourable Kambwili’s lethal mouth, but they don’t think he has the capacity to split the ruling party by 2021, and they don’t fear him much in that context. But it appears the PF leadership has discovered that Mr Kalaba’s presidential bid is being supported by several PF members of parliament, and even a couple of Cabinet ministers. The suspension of PF Luangeni member of parliament Charles Zulu has not come from without, and it is a fact that some PF shots are reaching out to the Democratic Party presidential candidate.
We can’t say that Mr Kalaba will win the 2021 presidential election because we don’t know what the Zambian people think about him and his leadership, but we can speak with confidence that he will certainly be a factor at the next general elections. We do not think that this man should be written off. Those who think we are hallucinating should wait and see how the politics inside the PF will turn out in the next 24 months.
About Diggers Editor
The Editor of News Diggers gets to decide what is published.
Email: editor [at] diggers [dot] news.
- God hates such useless prayers! - 25 Feb 2020
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus - 23 Feb 2020
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” - 21 Feb 2020
- When a President goes tribal, there’s no way he can unite a nation - 20 Feb 2020
- Citizens take law in their hands when they’ve no confidence in State Police - 19 Feb 2020
- Lungu ill advised, no wonder Kingsland injunction has embarrassed him – Harrington (5,194 views)
- Police arrest UNZA veterinarian on false ‘possessing offensive weapon’ charge (4,370 views)
- God hates such useless prayers! (4,087 views)
- An opposition party is causing confusion in the country - Kampyongo (4,011 views)
- Lungu, his family enjoying because Zambia remains safe - Bowman (3,260 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Foreign missions unpaid for upto 4 months, govt says there’s no money
- High Court stays revocation of recognition agreement between UNZALARU, management
- 2021 poll will be a tight race – ECZ
- MMD MPs still studying Bill 10
- Police arrest UNZA veterinarian on false ‘possessing offensive weapon’ charge
- Cyber bullying keeps women out of politics, laments WfC
- Deploy cops to man schools vulnerable to gassing – ZNUT
- Court refuses to grant bail to 18 men charged with rioters injuring building
- Lungu, his family enjoying because Zambia remains safe – Bowman
- Mushimba’s explanation on delay to pay universities absurd – Miti
- Internet blackout in S/Province suspicious – Katuka
- Africans must stop tolerating corrupt leaders, urges former SA minister
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend