- by Joseph Mwenya in Kabwe on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Dec 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 10 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 8 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 8 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 7 Dec 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 7 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 5 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Reporter on 4 Dec 2017by Laura Miti on 24 Nov 2017by The Washington Post on 16 Nov 2017by Times of Zambia employees on 15 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017by Joseph Mwenya on 28 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Nevers outlines Africa’s survival without the WestBy Mirriam Chabala on 8 Apr 2017
MMD president Never Mumba says African natural resources must benefit Africans.
In a speech he made at the ongoing Global Business Roundtable World Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa, Mumba said Africa needed to take charge of the management of its natural resources if it was to achieve prosperity.
He also said African countries needed to stay in the International Criminal Court to insure accountability amongst it’s leaders.
“Africa needs to take charge of the management of its resources if she is to achieve sustainable prosperity, and Africa must accept that for many decades, she has been shunted to the sidelines while Western nations exploited its vast resources,” Mumba said.
“While the resources of land, minerals, water and wildlife are depleted in most of the Western World, Africa remains as the ‘go to’ place for these most critical resources. It’s in Africa that you find gold, diamonds, copper and a host of other precious metals.”
Mumba, the former vice-president and High Commissioner to Canada in the MMD government, said time for Africa to depend on other countries for its survival had come to an end.
“Zambia, my own country prides herself as a world leader in copper production and has great deposits of other minerals and emeralds. The “Sabbath” for Africa is now coming to an end. The Brexit and Trump phenomenon have signaled the “coming out” of Africa. The World is changing. Europe is about to change drastically by the coming of Brexit and America is also about to drastically change by the coming in of the new U.S. President Donald Trump. It is therefore imperative that Africa considers its limited options as a result of this changing World order,” Mumba said.
“Africa has been weaned off the breast of the Western World. Africa should smell the coffee and accept that both Americans and Europeans owe it to themselves to advance their causes. We have no moral ground to complain about their democratic choices. I hope that this re-alignment of the World order is as clear to many African leaders as it is to me. For me and many other Africans, this is a good thing. It will accelerate our growth in all sectors. It will force us to place premiums on the choice of our leaders. It will also allow us to appreciate the riches that Africa is endowed with. We are off the breast and we must look elsewhere. Not China, but within the borders of our great continent,” he said.
And Mumba further noted that there was need for African countries to stay at the International Criminal Court to ensure accountability amongst leaders.
“African nations must remain in ICC, but must unite to push for reforms. All heads of states must be subjected to the same rules. African governments must remain in the ICC for accountability purposes. We must however insure that the international court reforms itself. If we seek respect in the ICC we must pay our fair share,” said Mumba.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF hired intercity thugs to attack me at Diamond TV – Kambwili - 9 Dec 2017
- 8 Mporokoso PF officials defect to NDC - 8 Dec 2017
- Govt hasn’t seen ConCourt ruling ordering ministers to pay back – Wina - 8 Dec 2017
- Copperbelt PF chairman insists ruling party is intact - 7 Dec 2017
- Don’t cry over ‘failed’ IMF deal, it was also debt – Lubinda - 7 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend