- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 12 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Women participation in manufacturing excites UN country repBy Charles Mafa on 22 Apr 2017
United Nations resident coordinator Janet Rogan says she is encouraged to see many talented women venturing into the manufacturing sector in Zambia.
Rogan was speaking at the inaugural seminar and award ceremony on women’s participation in the manufacturing sector at Radisson Blu Hotel in Lusaka this morning.
“It is indeed encouraging to see so many talented and dedicated women working in the manufacturing [industry]. When you inspire and reach out to other women in other sectors, you’re in effect providing value addition on value addition – a real multiplier effect for transformative sustainable development,” Rogan said.
“Quite simply, when women participate fully in the labour force, it creates opportunities and generates growth. Globally, closing the gender gap in employment could add 12 trillion to the GDP in the next 8 years (by 2025). This is what we mean by transformative sustainable development.”
She said the theme for the event; “promoting inclusiveness and participation” was targeted at men to accommodate women in the industry.
“Particularly, this message is directed towards men, who generally posses the power and who occupy the space, to tell them that they need to share power, share space with women,” said Rogan.
“The second message which is ‘participation’ is about taking power and stepping into that shared space in order to participate. Particularly, this message is to women to take power, not only over their own lives and those of their families in the domestic space, but also in the public space – taking power and participating in community decision-making, climbing the ladder in the workplace, pushing out into non-traditional sectors, educating and training themselves, running their own business and employing others, taking responsibility for their own financial and legal affairs.”
And the Zambia Association of Manufacturers (ZAM) president Roseta Chabala said women in manufacturing are faced with numerous challenges in trying to expand their businesses, which he said led to inadequate participation of women in the sector.
Those who were awarded include: Aisha Kayabwe, Director of Grandma School who got the Life Time Woman Achiever Award, Edwards won the Mentorship Award and Belite de lu Court owner of Lamoz Fashions (Fast Growth Woman-owned Business). Others who were honoured are, Roseta Chabala who won the Manufacturing Sector Woman Advocacy Award and Kasazi Nyendwa went away with the Young Woman Achiever Award.
About Charles Mafa
Charles Mafa is an Award winning investigative journalist, columnist and blogger.
Email: charles [at] diggers [dot] news
- Chinese rhino smugglers named - 15 Aug 2017
- Govt confirms arrest of Chinese smugglers - 31 Jul 2017
- Zambia arrests 3 Chinese, 2 locals for possessing 25 rhino horns - 29 Jul 2017
- Kwacha down to 8.8 per dollar - 13 Jul 2017
- Increased Zesco tariffs have caused rise in inflation – CSO - 1 Jul 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend