- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Sep 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Sep 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 21 Sep 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017by Elias Munshya on 18 Sep 2017by President Edgar Lungu on 13 Sep 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 10 Sep 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Manslaughter-charged cop appears in courtBy Elias Banda on 25 Jan 2017
A POLICE officer who shot a fellow police officer last October after mistaking him for a criminal has appeared in the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court for explanation of the manslaughter charge.
In this matter, allegations are that Mukonka, 47, on October 25, 2016 negligently caused the death of Geoffrey Banda at road block in Chongwe.
Mukonka appeared before magistrate Judith Chiyaika yesterday and she explained the charge to him.
He said he understood the charge, after which magistrate Chiyaika informed him that the matter would be admitted to the High Court once instructions to proceed were received from the DPP.
Last year, police spokesperson Esther Katongo had stated that Mukonka, while manning the barrier near the airport round about, was informed about a group of armed criminals who were using the same road.
She had stated that when the police officers from Chipata reached the barrier, they found it closed and that one officer disembarked from the vehicle with a view of finding out if there were officers at the point.
Katongo stated that Mukonka mistook sergeant Kapolyo for the criminal he had earlier been informed about and shot him in the chest.
Katongo further stated that Mukonka fired another shot which hit the driver of the vehicle, detective inspector Banda, and he died on the spot.Related Items
- It has now become a trend for traffic officers to be beaten - Munir Zulu
- Lungu has taken Zambians for fools – Chipimo
- Zambian professor melts hearts for helping single mother baby sit in his class
- It's hard to believe Kambwili's accusations in the absence of evidence - Wynter
- Kampyongo got three cars for awarding fire tender contract to Grandview - Kambwili
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «September 2017»
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend