- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 22 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Court acquits Ruth Mbandu’s suspected killersBy Elias Banda on 22 Mar 2017
LUSAKA High Court judge Chalwe M’chenga has acquitted two persons accused of murdering NIPA student Ruth Mbandu for lack of sufficient evidence.
This is in a matter where Soma and Edward Siamandima were alleged to have gruesomely murdered Mbandu in 2012.
Passing his judgment yesterday, Judge M’chenga said the prosecution failed to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt thereby failing to establish the actual killers in the matter.
The court also dismissed a video that state prosecutors tendered in as evidence.
Judge M’chenga said it was clear from the video that the police forced him to confess.
Defending himself last November, Soma said police officers forced him to admit the charge.
He said the officers beat him to a point where he defecated in his pants.
Soma narrated that he was in Mpika at the time the crime was committed but that later police officers apprehended him, accusing him of being on the run.
“Your honour I was forced to agree that I killed Ruth Mbandu by police officers because they threatened to kill me if I denied. They beat me to a point where I even defecated. I had no option but to agree and that is how I was jointly charged,” said Soma.
On July 15, 2012, Zambia woke up to chilling news of Mbandu’s gruesome murder.
Mbandu had her face removed, leaving only her hair and teeth before her murderers dumped her body at one of the houses in Emmasdale.Related Items
- FAZ salutes Sikazwe’s 2018 World Cup appointment
- National Parks department explains implications of suspending hunting permits
- Kambwili questions ConCourt’s failure to cite Mwila for contempt
- It’s childish for Kambwili to continue telling lies about Lungu – Chanda
- Pastor seeks to divorce wife of 35 years
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend