- by Mukosha Funga on 24 Jul 2017by Karen Mwelwa on 24 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017by Thomas Mulenga on 23 Jul 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 24 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Jul 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 24 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Jul 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Jul 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Hakainde Hichilema on 20 Jul 2017by Laura Miti on 13 Jul 2017by Stella Sata Rukayi on 8 Jul 2017by Nic Cheeseman on 7 Jul 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 16 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 26 Jun 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 2 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 18 Jun 2017
Court acquits Ruth Mbandu’s suspected killersBy Elias Banda on 22 Mar 2017
LUSAKA High Court judge Chalwe M’chenga has acquitted two persons accused of murdering NIPA student Ruth Mbandu for lack of sufficient evidence.
This is in a matter where Soma and Edward Siamandima were alleged to have gruesomely murdered Mbandu in 2012.
Passing his judgment yesterday, Judge M’chenga said the prosecution failed to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt thereby failing to establish the actual killers in the matter.
The court also dismissed a video that state prosecutors tendered in as evidence.
Judge M’chenga said it was clear from the video that the police forced him to confess.
Defending himself last November, Soma said police officers forced him to admit the charge.
He said the officers beat him to a point where he defecated in his pants.
Soma narrated that he was in Mpika at the time the crime was committed but that later police officers apprehended him, accusing him of being on the run.
“Your honour I was forced to agree that I killed Ruth Mbandu by police officers because they threatened to kill me if I denied. They beat me to a point where I even defecated. I had no option but to agree and that is how I was jointly charged,” said Soma.
On July 15, 2012, Zambia woke up to chilling news of Mbandu’s gruesome murder.
Mbandu had her face removed, leaving only her hair and teeth before her murderers dumped her body at one of the houses in Emmasdale.Related Items
Weekly Most Digged
- «July 2017»
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend