by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Dec 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Dec 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 12 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 11 Dec 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 10 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 10 Dec 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 12 Dec 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 12 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 9 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 6 Dec 2019
by Diggers Editor on 13 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Julius Kapembwa (PhD) on 5 Dec 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 4 Dec 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Nov 2019by Dr Chishimba Mubanga, MSc on 22 Nov 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 9 Dec 2019by Sampa Kabwela on 23 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019
Banker narrates how she was swindled K50,000 in Facebook land scamBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Jun 2019
A banker has narrated in the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court how a businessman allegedly swindled her out of K50,000 on pretext that he had a piece of land for sale.
The State witness told the Court that she discovered that the accused had sold the piece of land to another couple who had even started building after depositing the said amount in his account.
In this matter, Morgan Muzambalika is charged with obtaining money by false pretences.
Particulars of the offence allege that in March, last year, Muzambalika obtained K50,000 from Charity Mulenga, a banker, on the pretext that he had a piece of land for sale, when in fact not.
And when the matter came up for trial before Magistrate Lameck Mwale, Wednesday, Mulenga testified that in March, last year, she saw a Facebook post where an agent was advertising a piece of land in Silverest area.
She told the Court that when she contacted a Mr Mulenga so that she could view the piece of land, he told her that he was tied up and referred her to a Mr Muwowo, whom she later contacted.
Mulenga said when she was shown the land, she liked it.
“Mr Muwowo showed me the land and the following Saturday I asked my husband to escort me to view the land and he also liked it,” Mulenga testified.
She further testified that she asked the same Muwowo to introduce her to the owner of the land and he introduced her to Morgan Muzambalika.
She told the Court that she later met Muzambalika and asked him for details of the same piece of land, which he gave.
Mulenga said when Muzambalika gave her the plot number, she went to the Ministry of Lands to ascertain the authenticity of the details.
She added that when she produced the plot number at the Ministry of Lands, it was confirmed that the plot was in Muzambalika’s name.
Mulenga told the Court that she later asked Muzambalika to prepare a contract of sale for the plot so that she could buy it, adding that she deposited K50,000 in the accused’s account.
“On April 20, last year, I deposited K50,000 in Mr Muzambalika’s bank account and took the transaction receipt to Butler law firm where I met the accused from. I would visit the land to check if the title was out, but they would always tell me that the process is still going on,” she narrated.
Mulenga said when she went on-site to get an update over the title in December, she found some people building a house on the plot she had already bought.
“The builders informed me that the house they were building belonged to Mr and Mrs Nkana. When I contacted the Nkana’s, they confirmed having bought the plot from Muzambalika,” she said.
Mulenga told the Court that when she phoned Muzambalika to resolve the issue, he was nowhere to be seen.
She said she reported the matter to the police who later arrested Muzambalika.
Trial continues on July 16.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- FNB sues ‘Bwalya Ng’andu’ for failure to settle K369,000 loan - 13 Dec 2019
- Maseka fixed windows at Chimese’s alleged property, DEC testifies in Perjury case - 13 Dec 2019
- Kambwili granted last adjournment to open defence in forgery case - 13 Dec 2019
- Mimbula, Moxico fight injunction which restrains Milingo from selling KCM mining rights - 12 Dec 2019
- Tutwa obtains stay of defamation judgment - 11 Dec 2019
- Don't be used by UPND to get diplomatic jobs, Mumbi tells Diggers journalists (2,737 views)
- Kampyongo said criminals like using his name, Kapata to smuggle Mukula. Why? (2,448 views)
- Power export to Zambia dependent on our surplus production - Eskom (1,868 view)
- Explain delayed power import, Speaker orders Energy Minister (1,803 view)
- FNB sues 'Bwalya Ng’andu' for failure to settle K369,000 loan (1,802 view)
- We need to beg IMF for assistance – Nawakwi
- FNB sues ‘Bwalya Ng’andu’ for failure to settle K369,000 loan
- Debates on inequality too simplistic – Chiteme
- Maseka fixed windows at Chimese’s alleged property, DEC testifies in Perjury case
- Kambwili granted last adjournment to open defence in forgery case
- Homosexuality exists in Zambia, no one chooses to be born gay - Sacika
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel
- Don't be used by UPND to get diplomatic jobs, Mumbi tells Diggers journalists
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation
- Power export to Zambia dependent on our surplus production - Eskom
Subscribe For News In Email
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend