- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
PRESIDENTIAL HUMILITY: A HUMBLE RESPONSE TO SOME NASTY PREJUDICEBy Sunday Chanda on 10 Dec 2019
The recent News Diggers editorial that attempted to pour cold water on His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu’s comments on humility was to say the least… in bad taste.
To be humble is also to be realistic; As Charles Haddon Spurgeon a venerable 19th Century Baptist preacher who to this date remains highly influential among Christians of various denominations, once famously observed:
“Humility is to make a right estimate of one. It is no humility for a man to think less of himself than he ought.”
Spurgeon was spot –on. Humility is not self-deprecation; why should President Lungu think less of himself than he ought?
Why are President Lungu’s detractors all hot and bothered like feral cats on a hot tin roof, that he made a right estimate of himself?
Why should it offend them that despite ascending to the highest office in the land, the President has remained connected to his humble background and the grassroots?
It is not humility for a man to stand up and depreciate himself and say he cannot do something that he knows he can excel at. If God gives a man a talent, do they think the man does not know it? If a man has ten talents he has no right to be dishonest to his Maker, and to say, “Lord, you have only given me five.”
It is not humility to underrate oneself; that is the stuff of pious hypocrites!
Humility is to think of yourself, as God thinks of you…nothing more and nothing less.
Humility is not to say: “I do not have this gift.”
But rather it is to say: “I have the gift, and I will use it for the Lord’s glory”
Why should it therefore offend anyone that President Edgar Chagwa Lungu seeks to use his gifted connection with the grassroots and the people of Zambia to better their lives beyond 2021?
Why are his detractors filled with sour grapes?
Could it be because his humble disposition, warm smiles and general amiable demeanour are spontaneous and genuine; unlike certain grass root-disconnected individuals who have to hire handlers at great cost just to make them appear likable and to “fix” their laboured and contrived smiles?
Why does one also get the feeling that with all the inappropriate bitterness and acrimony that is developing into a predictable routine from certain sections of the media, they are in danger of completely losing the plot and ultimately ending up as a quarrelsome elitist medium with a grudge bone to chew…habitually splitting hairs?
As for His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu; his humble background and continued humility resonates well with the majority of Zambians, as it inspires them.
It is the testimony of the son of a woman marketeer rising to the office of President; And having risen to the highest office of the land, remains connected with the grassroots…and continuing to be humble, does not repay evil for evil; but instead tolerates those that demean him…even embracing and loving those that make it their daily bread and make careers out of their grudges to disparage him.
What a man!
(Sunday Chilufya Chanda
Patriotic Front Media Director
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (14,523 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (13,176 views)
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption (8,334 views)
- Gassing can't be stopped in one day - State House (7,550 views)
- Top Chingola cops implicated in gassing incidences (6,744 views)
- Lungu wants Kambwili back in PF, claims GBM
- Wina is lying, Zambia suffering because of theft in govt, not because of by-elections - Sangwa
- Enjoy the sweet, but remember Guy Scott who sweated for it
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?”
- Gassing can't be stopped in one day - State House
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
- Bill 10 has polarized Zambia – Kabimba
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court
- Interest rates rise to 28%
- Lumezi MP backs Bill 10
- Southern Province in internet blackout
- Cooperatives must be used as viable businesses, Mungalaba tells entrepreneurs
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend